7mm hunting round 2920-3000 fps 26" barrel

ok i'll break down and the belted mag is now in the picture.

Does anyone have any good or bad to say about the 7-300 win mag

good...7stw performance... you can actually find 300win brass without selling a kidney first to pay the ransom...
If I didn't have a ton of good 7stw brass I'd have one made for me...

bad... rather short neck... who cares; the bullet is still held well enough...

Just a question, what brass are you using in the 280AI?

I have had some Nolser brass that was really soft and couldn't take any pressure.

Primer pockets shot with nominal loads.

Norma brass is working much better for me ...

Doug

If your using nosler 280ai brass your smith needs to chamber it to the new piece of brass not by his go/no gauge. If you measure the head space on the new brass, then on the fired brass its more than likely the fired brass is 14thou longer. if this is the case!!! there is two fixes 1-recut chamber/set back 14thou or #2- hard seat 162 amax bullets into the lands and fire form brass out 14thou. let me know if that works.

Here is a possibility for a short action. I am in the process of gathering parts for a 7SS (same case as my 6.5 SS). I have a brand new reamer and extra dies in stock. I can get 3100' with a 160 grain with a 26" barrel in the 6.5 version. If you do the math, I think the 180 will make your 2950 goal in a 7SS. This is an extremely efficient case, and it is quite a bit shorter than a SAUM with a little more velocity. It also has a longer neck than the SAUM at .331". This would make a multiple shot capable rifle with the long bullets which can not be had with a WSM or SAUM unless you sacrifice case capacity by having to seat the bullet too deeply. Another possibility is the 280 Sherman (long action version) which is basically an A.I. on steroids. PM me if you are interested in finding out more.......Rich

The easy answer is 7 LRM. Mine does 3015 with 70g H1000. Available brass. 7 Dakota will do it too. Also available brass. 7 RUM also will do it, but longer case and not as efficient.

Asking a lot from the various short mags...

7-300win mag. To get to 3050 or 3100 with a 180 berger would you be stomping on the brass a lot or is this something that is fairly possible with a average charge? Also looking at this from a 28 inch barrel. Next question is I think you would need a wyatt box mag also for the extra long bullet length?

7-300win mag. To get to 3050 or 3100 with a 180 berger would you be stomping on the brass a lot or is this something that is fairly possible with a average charge? Also looking at this from a 28 inch barrel....

As I've read (I do not yet own one so no personal experience with it), the 7mm-300 Win mag users are getting ~3,200fps with 180gr's. I suspect if someone only wanted 3,000-3,100 fps that would be easily attainable without "stomping" the brass.

7-300win mag. To get to 3050 or 3100 with a 180 berger would you be stomping on the brass a lot or is this something that is fairly possible with a average charge? Also looking at this from a 28 inch barrel. Next question is I think you would need a wyatt box mag also for the extra long bullet length?

My 5R .300WM doesn't have an extended mag box, and with long Berger 210's seated VERY close to the lands, I can still use the rifle as a repeater with the factory mag box (not a ton of room, but they fit with no problem). So I would imagine that with the 7-300 you would be around the same max OAL (this is just a guess since I don't own a 7-300) with the Berger 180 Hybrids.

I've gotta ask...

Several users, myself included have stated a 7 LRM will do it, but that seems to have not caught your attention. Any reason why?

No, wouldn't be stomping on brass. One of my builders gets 3100 fairly easily. I bought the LRM because of available brass. Learned my lesson from a 7wsm debacle...lol.

Tons of info on various 7's getting to 3000+ with 180 bergers on here, so I'd spend some more time on the search button.

I do think Travis at Rbros, TMR handle, has a good set up dialed for just what you are looking for and he can set you up on 7mm RM.

There is also a very long multi-year post on the 7-300WM. Extremely informative. It seems to ge there easily.

I'm still green compared to many on here, but I think Barrel length and the way you set up your chamber makes a ton of difference, all other things being equal. So I'd find the smith's like Travis on here with a track record of getting just what you want out of a rifle and let them help you.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.