3,300 fps 7mm

7mm-300 Norma Mag 30 degree improved
30" Barrel
Sierra 168SMK
92.3 Grains of R-33
3300fps

QL thinks that will do it and squeak under max pressure by a smidgen.

I ain't buyin it.

Only those that dare, do.

The 300 Norma Mag would be almost perfect for length. Case length is 2.492 The 375 Ruger is over .100 longer than the 300 Norma.

sorry I didn't look at the case lengths I was just using wiki for the COAL. now I see that you are correct indeed. the norma is shorter but for some reason wiki list the COAL of the norma longer then the ruger by .341"

.300 Norma Magnum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

.375 Ruger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

seems something is amiss with wiki's info....lol

sorry I didn't look at the case lengths I was just using wiki for the COAL. now I see that you are correct indeed. the norma is shorter but for some reason wiki list the COAL of the norma longer then the ruger by .341"

.300 Norma Magnum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

.375 Ruger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

seems something is amiss with wiki's info....lol

You could get that COAL in the 300 Norma if you seated a 230 Berger hybrid in it but other than that, it ain't gonna happen. I'm guessing it's a typo. I get my cartridge info from AmmoGuide.

John,

Per usual, you ask a specific question (max 3.4 box, 3300 fps with a ~27" barrel and 168 Bergers) and you get a multitude of woulda, shoulda, possibly, maybe, I have, I've seen, use this, use that or what if rather than specifically answering your question. I don't know the purpose of your question or anticipated use, but your options will be very limited (maybe Lazzeroni or Dakota) unless you want to lengthen the barrel. Good luck.

John,

Per usual, you ask a specific question (max 3.4 box, 3300 fps with a ~27" barrel and 168 Bergers) and you get a multitude of woulda, shoulda, possibly, maybe, I have, I've seen, use this, use that or what if rather than specifically answering your question. I don't know the purpose of your question or anticipated use, but your options will be very limited (maybe Lazzeroni or Dakota) unless you want to lengthen the barrel. Good luck.

Yep,I know I have a very unusual list of requirements. Now I'll tell you that I have a friend that is hell bent on a 7mm Dakota as a repeater. And I was just curious if anyone might come up with a round that would be able to best it. I couldn't think of any, but I knew that you guys would know if anyone did. I am using his data for max magazine length (110 Staggered Feed blind mag 7mm RM action) is about 3.5" I think so I used 3.4" to be safe. And he tells me that a Dakota will hit 3300 fps with a 168 Berger in a 27" (nitrided) barrel. Looks like the only one that will be in the running would be the 7mm - 300 Norma Mag.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate everyone's help. If my friend's information is correct, the Dakota looks like it might be the one to beat.

I just finished a 6.5mm Osprey Mag build on the 300 NM. Had a smith friend turn the rims down to .532 and rechambered my 264 WM. I have attached a photo for comparison of some 6.5 wildcats.

I would be interested to hear more if you choose to go that direction with a 7mm.

Attachments

• 6.5 mm Cartridge Comp..jpg
    6.5 mm Cartridge Comp..jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 55
What weight bullet and coal ,would be very close to a 7mm/Norma. Now guys have them on here.Cant be that hard to get a length.My 338 Norma with a 300 is 3.675 but that is a big long bullet,think the 7mm would make it.

Come over to Thunder Valley I'll show you. I'll even show you what the 230 grain Berger does at 3559fps. Tom has some awesome wildcats.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.