147 gr 6.5 ELD-M at 3000 fps any fouling issues?

sambo3006

I've read a few things about the Hornady ELD bullets fouling at higher velocities. I have a 26" 6.5 SAUM and would like to shoot the 147 gr ELD-M and figure 3000 fps is a reasonable velocity. Was wondering if anyone has been shooting that bullet at that velocity and were there any fouling issues. Thanks!

My cousin shoots them at 2950fps in a 6.5-284 from a Kreiger 4 groove. He doesn't have any issues with them and neither do we with any of the other ELD Match bullets.

I haven't noticed any using either the 140gn ELD-M or 143gn ELD-X in my 6.5-284. That is with velocities over 3000fps.
I intend to try the 147gn "M" at first chance this year.

I've read a few things about the Hornady ELD bullets fouling at higher velocities. I have a 26" 6.5 SAUM and would like to shoot the 147 gr ELD-M and figure 3000 fps is a reasonable velocity. Was wondering if anyone has been shooting that bullet at that velocity and were there any fouling issues. Thanks!

Bore quality, quality of the lapping, the degree of lapping and powder choices will have a much bigger impact on fouling than the copper jackets Hornaday uses. Don't get me wrong some types of jackets historically foul more than others in most barrels but other factors also have a very large impact. Yes velocity can certainly play a noteworthy role in fouling as well. Hornaday's ELD line jackets haven't been as noticeably bad compared to some other brands in the same barrels.

All that said, I've had more accuracy and velocity issues with carbon fouling than I've ever had with copper fouling. I think copper fouling gets blown out of proportion much of the time. Carbon blends in to the barrel where copper is visible as a neon sign which undoubtably attracts more attention and concern. The most accurate and consistent barrel I've ever had was a pretty strong copper fouler.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.