147 ELD-M results on elk

• Thread starter Deleted member 25294
  • Start date
That is a strange looking entry wound even for a thin skinned bullet? I shot a deer one time with a 140 partition which hit a limb a few feet in front of the deer.It made 2 holes about 3 inches apart and a bunch of shrapnel wounds around it. Your pic almost looks like a very sharp angle entry? It also looks like it may have hit something before the elk?
Yeah I would agree its a strange entry wound, it was a pretty steep uphill shot, and I think you might be right about the ELD-M bullet hitting a limb before impact.
The bull was standing under a limby looking tree when I shot him so it's entirely possible
Anyway after this experience I will probably only use these bullets at ranges beyond 400 yards..

Yeah I would agree its a strange entry wound, it was a pretty steep uphill shot, and I think you might be right about the ELD-M bullet hitting a limb before impact.
The bull was standing under a limby looking tree when I shot him so it's entirely possible
Anyway after this experience I will probably only use these bullets at ranges beyond 400 yards..
I thought so. It definitely looks like a splatter wound!

Anyway, here are a couple pictures of terminal performance. We tried very carefully not to hit a shoulder. Dry firing seems to calm the nerves. Guess we were very lucky.
I think the 147's are a long range bullet and not ideal for closer ranges.
View attachment 83961

Tell your daughter nice preparation and nice shot. That's great shot placement for that bullet - equally as good as braining them.

Our LR rifles all shoot well, so why not just head or neck shoot at shorter distances? Leave the behind the shoulder shots for distance.

Head shot a buck and a bull this year with the 147's out of my 6.5x284 @ 3010. Of course it destroyed the deer, no surprise. It did perform better on the bull than I've seen from 140 class 6.5's bullets in the past though. Stone dead, no flop.

No pic of the bull, but I couldn't resist on the deer.

Attachments

• 22983.jpeg
    22983.jpeg
    518.3 KB · Views: 271
Tell your daughter nice preparation and nice shot. That's great shot placement for that bullet - equally as good as braining them.

Thanks Paul,
I was at work and typing my previous posts when I got a minute here and there. What I was trying to say is that I totally agree with you about using a different bullet all together if shots are at closer ranges. For me that would be about 500ish and under.
I built this 6.5ss for exactly this reason but being me I like to stretch it. The 6.5ss has 3 kills this year. 2 Antelope 652 yards and 1175. Daughter's Elk at 376.
Maybe some of you guys can ponder this! 147 ELD M's at 3,240 fps. I would think these would grenade faster than guys running around 2800 fps.
Anyway and this is funny now but not when it happened! The night before we shot daughter's Elk we spotted a big 6x6 bull. Next morning when we spotted bull same place my spotter assured me it was same 6x6 we saw and said kill it. I was helping daughter get setup and doing what we do to get ready. I asked again, is this the 6x6. He said kill it! This bull was like a statue and never moved. Any we did alright. Here is my lil girl with her bull. Smile is worth a million to me!

11306.jpeg
11307.jpeg

Ray,
Nice photos. Looks like a very happy hunter!

I don't need another rifle (well maybe), but the 6.5SS seems like the compact cartridge that gets an awful lot done. I own no 6.5, so maybe I do need another rifle... :)

Don't let Rich see this! :D

Last edited:
Ray,
Nice photos. Looks like a very happy hunter!

I don't need another rifle (well maybe), but the 6.5SS seems like the compact cartridge that gets an awful lot done. I own no 6.5, so maybe a do need another rifle... :)

Don't let Rich see this! :D
I saw it!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.