147 ELD-M results on elk

• Thread starter Deleted member 25294
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25294

I just shot anothet bull this year with my 6.5 RSAUM, this time with the 147 ELD-M bullet and wanted to share the results.
The velocity was 3050, range 350 yards, the shot was uphill and I hit him a little high behind the shoulder.
The bullet created a massive entrance wound and travelled upward blowing through the spine and lodging in the fur.
The retained bullet weight was 60 grains, and the bull dropped instantly.
I was impressed with the size of the entrance wound, it actually looked like a large exit wound which is a little concerning..
I'm thinking the bullet expanded extremely rapidly, maybe too rapidly.
A shoulder hit on an elk would probably not be good at all with this bullet so shoot accordingly.
Tried posting a photo but it won't work, I'll try adding one tomorrow.

Just to clarify, 3050 was your impact veocity and not your muzzle velocity? I'm just thinking that bullet might hold together a little better at longer ranges or less velocity on an elk's shoulder.

3050 was mv I'm sure. You don't want to shoot an elk in the shoulder with ANY of the thin skinned long range bullets close up!

Yes Elkaholic you are correct, velocity was at the muzzle.
I load the first round with a partition just In case it's close, and that's what I shot my Idaho bull with.
Here's a picture of the entrance wound.

Attachments

• 20171117_074454.jpg
    20171117_074454.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 398
This is an entry side pic of a Nosler Partition or the 147gr ELD-M?
Confusing based on your last Post...

Yes Elkaholic you are correct, velocity was at the muzzle.
I load the first round with a partition just In case it's close, and that's what I shot my Idaho bull with.
Here's a picture of the entrance wound.
That is a strange looking entry wound even for a thin skinned bullet? I shot a deer one time with a 140 partition which hit a limb a few feet in front of the deer.It made 2 holes about 3 inches apart and a bunch of shrapnel wounds around it. Your pic almost looks like a very sharp angle entry? It also looks like it may have hit something before the elk?

My 225gr ELD-M in .308 didn't create that sort of damage on the entry side of the deer-sized animal I shot a month or so ago. This photo wound looks similar to the exit side on my deer-sized game animal. Animal was hit in same location with an uphill angle of 33*, shot at 360yds with a starting MV of 3,000fps.

The bullet in this photo splattered on impact. My bullet splattered pretty good, but only during transit thru the torso, which showed on the exit side.

This fall we've reverted back to shooting some game animals with controlled expansion bullets of days gone by, at ranges less than 250 yds. The meat damage is so diminished compared to the Berger VLD, Hybrids, OTMs and the Hornady ELD-M, that there is simply no reason to be firing these frangible bullets, which I admit are optimal for long range hunting yardages past 400yds, at game animals at distances less than 300 yds. The meat damage from the long range bullets is typically disgusting to see and work around, compared to the controlled expansion bullets. Might as well fire a bazooka. The two controlled expansion bullets we've used this season were the Swift A-Frame and the Trophy Bonded Bear Claws. What a pleasing experience compared to the meat-shredder bullets.

Use the explosive bullets at long range after their velocity has run out. Use controlled expansion bullets up close, unless you simply like to pack out less meat due to explosive bullet wound paths.

All stated in my opinion. No others are as important to me... ;)

My 225gr ELD-M in .308 didn't create that sort of damage on the entry side of the deer-sized animal I shot a month or so ago. This photo wound looks similar to the exit side on my deer-sized game animal. Animal was hit in same location with an uphill angle of 33*, shot at 360yds with a starting MV of 3,000fps.

The bullet in this photo splattered on impact. My bullet splattered pretty good, but only during transit thru the torso, which showed on the exit side.

This fall we've reverted back to shooting some game animals with controlled expansion bullets of days gone by, at ranges less than 250 yds. The meat damage is so diminished compared to the Berger VLD, Hybrids, OTMs and the Hornady ELD-M, that there is simply no reason to be firing these frangible bullets, which I admit are optimal for long range hunting yardages past 400yds, at game animals at distances less than 300 yds. The meat damage from the long range bullets is typically disgusting to see and work around, compared to the controlled expansion bullets. Might as well fire a bazooka. The two controlled expansion bullets we've used this season were the Swift A-Frame and the Trophy Bonded Bear Claws. What a pleasing experience compared to the meat-shredder bullets.

Use the explosive bullets at long range after their velocity has run out. Use controlled expansion bullets up close, unless you simply like to pack out less meat due to explosive bullet wound paths.

how you get 3000 fps in .308 with 225 gr bullet?

This is a LRH site correct? All of my customs are built for that purpose and I hunt with that in mind.
My daughter drew an Elk tag that took 19 years to get. She practiced with me before the hunt with my lil 6.5ss and shot quite well @ 600 yards. I was a little aprehensive about using this small of a caliber on a big bull....when I have 2 338 LAI'S.
Sixth day of our hunt and looking at 19 different bulls we found one she liked. This bull was on a very steep hill straight up from us at a corrected angle. Kilo 2400 ranged him at 376 yards broadside looking at us. I told daughter to hold about 2" left of crease and in the middle of Elk.
When the shot broke I watched the impact through my bino's and my spotter said perfect hit. I saw the bull hunched up on impact. I handed my daughter another round and as I watched load my spotter said he's down!
She it a rib going in and a rib going out.

Oops! Hit the send button by accident...sorry.
Anyway, here are a couple pictures of terminal performance. We tried very carefully not to hit a shoulder. Dry firing seems to calm the nerves. Guess we we're very lucky.
I think the 147's are a long range bullet and not ideal for closer ranges.
12188.jpeg
12192.jpeg

12189.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.