147 ELD-M or 156 Berger EOL

Hornady said it wasn't meant for under 400? If that is so then they made a bullet that 95 percent or more of people can't use.
Shep
I cant say whether they said it or not but in my opinion, its a much better bullet beyond 400 for sure!
Same can be said for the LRAB.

I won't even use the ELD-X. Not sure if you remember around July or so, I posted about Hornady telling me that it wasn't a good choice for big bears or intended to be used under 400 yards. Just seems like a lot of "buts" in a description for me. I always admired the Partitions. Nothing fancy, but boringly reliable.
I do recall that. It's too bad they can't make a partition type bullet with a high bc, out here a lot of our shots are far, our average over the last 3 years and and roughly 40 animals is about 600 yards, and it's pretty much always a 5+ wind, up to 20 mph at times, so a good b.c. is a necessity.

I do recall that. It's too bad they can't make a partition type bullet with a high bc, out here a lot of our shots are far, our average over the last 3 years and and roughly 40 animals is about 600 yards, and it's pretty much always a 5+ wind, up to 20 mph at times, so a good b.c. is a necessity.
I use to do that when I was making my own bullets by using 2 jackets and bonding the cores and adding an aluminum tip, very much like Hornadys Atip. They were very effective but tedious to make and there was more chance of balance and concentricty problems, although they shot very well.
Federal made a stab at a similar idea with their TLR, although its not a partition.
If Nosler simply used their current partition jacket with a secant profile and added a ballistic tip, you would have what you're. asking Two downsides are price and possibility of accuracy loss over a standard cup and core. That said though, Ive had some very good accuracy with partitions and killed some 25 bull elk with 140's in my 6.5. My shots were all under 600 yards but on game performance was excellent and consistent from 50-600 yards. I have no doubt they would have expanded far beyond that but b c was lacking

Last edited:
Hornady said it wasn't meant for under 400? If that is so then they made a bullet that 95 percent or more of people can't use.
Shep
I'm not starting this again. I'll dig up the emails and I will PM them to you. They also specifically said it's not the right bullet for Brown Bear under 200.

Man, I envy you being able to shoot that far.

Good to hear some hands on experience with the 156.

I'm amazed at these high bc bullets. We finally got to shoot both the 147's and the 156's this year in some good windy conditions. Real consistent bullets.

I'm shooting the 156 in a 6.5 Creedmoor at 2650 fps. I worked up my loads at around 500' elevation. (Where our local range is) Then verified drops out to 550 yards at around 2000'
Easy bullet to load for.

Good to hear some hands on experience with the 156.

I'm amazed at these high bc bullets. We finally got to shoot both the 147's and the 156's this year in some good windy conditions. Real consistent bullets.

I'm shooting the 156 in a 6.5 Creedmoor at 2650 fps. I worked up my loads at around 500' elevation. (Where our local range is) Then verified drops out to 550 yards at around 2000'
Easy bullet to load for.
Does elevation play a role in shooting as it does with car performance? We are st about 1400 feet here.

It didn't in the accuracy of my rifle and the 156's. My Creed is an 8 twist.
Of course the hold over and wind was a little different for 2000' and 6000'. About a click is all though. Antelope in my avatar was at 6000'

At 500' I have only shot out to 200 yards. Our local range is in a flood plain. Stability is marginal per the Berger twist calculator.

I always thought that the eld-x had a thinner jacket than the eld-m but that is not the case. There is a video on YouTube where a guy takes a bullet of the same caliber and similar weight of each model and cuts them in half length wise and the eld-x clearly has a thicker jacket. The reason he was given was so the bullet will penetrate game deeper before the core and jacket separate. Knowing this I would think the eld-m would expand earlier.

I always thought that the eld-x had a thinner jacket than the eld-m but that is not the case. There is a video on YouTube where a guy takes a bullet of the same caliber and similar weight of each model and cuts them in half length wise and the eld-x clearly has a thicker jacket. The reason he was given was so the bullet will penetrate game deeper before the core and jacket separate. Knowing this I would think the eld-m would expand earlier.
I thought it was the opposite. Do you have a link? Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts