300 grn 338 Berger test @ 3000+fps

first off, thanks for your post/information. it's the kind of stuff we all "dig" i don't want to sound like Mr. negative, but assuming you have a group and flyers with 3 of the 9 shots, 33%, being called flyers is a pretty strong number. i'm not going to advocate shooting at least 15 shot groups like Bart B did, but i think you're making some assumptions without nearly enough information. i also don't agree with your assumption that they like to be close to the lands. certainly they might, but testing at 3 6 and 9 thousands off is way too fine of adjustments for starting loads. i had a fellow with a lot of competition and long range hunting experience tell me to experiment loading the 338 bullets .05 off for better accuracy. it held true for both of my 338's. i guess the point i'm trying to make is you're making conclusions based on way too little data.

Dave, Thanks for your input. I certainly agree about looking at the % of flyers, even 10% not acceptable if they are truly equipment / component induced flyers. My question to answer with shooting more groups is "was it just me?" My sample group(s) were just too small and only 1 session to say for sure. Your advice on spreading out my seating depth is great, I will try further off the lands and a wider spread on my next test. The previous barrel on this rifle liked 250 SMKs best at .1 off the lands.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.