7mm decision build or nah.

Build a semi custom off a remmy action. Get a good barrel. Properly bed the action and a good trigger and it's going to shoot. I did a 7rm off a sako action only because the action was given to me. Just find a good local smith if you can.

I have a CA Mesa LR in 7mm RM. I am very satisfied, it shoots Nosler 168 grn. ABLR fast and straight. I did have one minor issue that was quickly and easily resolved with customer support.

I have a couple TRG-S Sakos in 7.21 Firebird. I shoot Barnes 120 gr through them at over 4000 fps. They will shoot heavier bullets, I just don't see the need for my under 500 yard hunting. I have 2 in 30-378 Weatherby too. The factory barrels nearly always shoot under an 3/4 inch. You could carbon fiber a barrel etc. Not sure there is a better cartridge than Lazzeroni. I actually have a spare stock, & chassis. But I have 2 barrels, a 30-378 and a .308 Warbird. So it will sit until I decide which, or like you a carbon specialty. Probably a 30" carbon in 30-378, or 7.21 Firebird. 4200 fps from a 30 cal130 gr TTSX or 120 gr 7mm, would be hard to compete with.

Having both a 7MM and a ,280AI I can say I would go with the AI. Better barrel life, less recoil, cheaper to shoot, easier to load for and mine is suoer accurate. I shoot 168 accubond LR at 2950 and it will do anything I need it to do and it is under a 1/2" gun.

Wow so many replies and opinions that are all worth taking serious consideration.

First off I had read the 28nos barrel life if bad but didn't know it was that bad. What would be a avg round count for one?

I hear so many good things about the 280ai from it's a shooter to ease or load development and so forth. But the 28nos seems to shoot same bullets just faster. Right? The extra energy for ethical game harvesting would be a nice in the 28nos.

I have also looked at the seekins and the Bergara but seems still for that price I could build one of same or better quality. And I did notice the CA Ridgeline had some nice features.

If I were to build what am I missing from my list other then the technical aspect of chambering barrel etc.
I also read in 1 reply to scratch the stockys carbon stock. Was wondering if there is more to explain for this opinion? Purely curious. I really love the manners eh6 but can't seem to find it anywhere. I love the look of the exposed carbon.

Sort of back to my original post would I benefit more from a carbon barrel or a custom action?
I think I covered all the replies. Thanks again.

Approximate amount paid for my last .280AI build.
Rem 700 donation rifle action: $450
Smith: Blue print action & barrel $500
Custom Brux barrel: $350
Boyd's laminated stock: $150
Pillar & glass bedding: $25? (Did myself)
Timney trigger: $150
Brownells speed lock firing pin: $75
Total: $1700
I'm shooting 145gr Barnes LRX around 3050 FPS and getting 1/2MOA when I do my part.

My old man bought a cooper LR in .28 Nosler after purchasing the Nosler Rifle and returning it twice due to issues. The nosler rifle is built off of a Howa platform just FYI. It sounds like you already know the answer to your own question. Build one off a Rem 700 with a good stock (not stockys) like a McMillan, or at minimum Bell and Carlson or even HS, get you proof CF barell and your going to spend pennies over what that factory rifle costs. My old man is trying to sell his Cooper LR to do just that. No factory rifle or semi custom factory rifle will ever compare to what quality components put together by a good gunsmith will. I just built a .28 with a Manners T4A CF, Defiance Deviant, Trigger Tech Diamond, PTG bottom metal, Proof CF 1:8 barrell... granted it was not 2 grand, but I have zero buyers remorse. Look at Brads Precision Rifles in Utah. He offers a $2k rifle that is everything your asking for. Guaranteed to shoot sub 1/2 MOA, but of course we all know, that's with tuned loads. Also, the short throat issue has not really been an issue. My experience has been that the .28 likes a little jump off the lands, and the VLD style bullets are designed for just that; as all of us guys with boomers erode throats... just sayin. Oh and by the way. Regardless, do what you want to do and have fun with it. Guns are so cool...
When you mean build off a rem 700 action do you mean a trued and blue printed one or just a plain old rem action. I have looked alot for a donation rifle but haven't came up with much.

Anyone have exp with ptg premium actions or their blue printed 700 actions?

Also forgot to ask is there a price savings if I buy a chambered prefit or does that not exist for a 700. Noob ? I know .

Build a semi custom off a remmy action. Get a good barrel. Properly bed the action and a good trigger and it's going to shoot. I did a 7rm off a sako action only because the action was given to me. Just find a good local smith if you can.
By semi custom do you mean just match barrel on a stock 700 action? My 700 in 308 is about 8 years old now it's a stock action with a factory 20" sps barrel I bedded action and pillars myself and inletted b&c stock for badger dbm. After load development this this is a tac driver. Sub 1/4 all day long with my handloads. Anyways.

I'm fine with building this off a 700 action but wasnt sure if it was taboo to put a cf barrel and stock on a factory action. Also if I barrel built it off a 700 action could it later be upgraded? As is trued, better bolt, or even custom action.

I have also looked at the seekins and the Bergara but seems still for that price I could build one of same or better quality
I have a Bergara Premier HMR PRO in 6.5C very nice feeling action, its better than a smithed up 700. It shoots 1/2 MOA or better with several factory loads and comes with a good Trigger Tech trigger. Also have a Seekins Havak PRO Hunter in 6.5C its as nice as the Bergara and as accurate. Bergara action is enough smoother that I like it better. Also two rem 700 custom 270win, one with very thin barrel and one with sendero barrel, skinny shoots 1/2 MOA heavy shoots 1/3 MOA. From my experience the Bergara is as good or better than a smithed up rem 700 with a top grade barrel. I like the 280AI for a lot of the reasons stated and besides how many shots are you going to get past 500 yards? My vote Bergara 280AI or custom REM 700 280AI.

Wow so many replies and opinions that are all worth taking serious consideration.

First off I had read the 28nos barrel life if bad but didn't know it was that bad. What would be a avg round count for one?

I hear so many good things about the 280ai from it's a shooter to ease or load development and so forth. But the 28nos seems to shoot same bullets just faster. Right? The extra energy for ethical game harvesting would be a nice in the 28nos.

I have also looked at the seekins and the Bergara but seems still for that price I could build one of same or better quality. And I did notice the CA Ridgeline had some nice features.

If I were to build what am I missing from my list other then the technical aspect of chambering barrel etc.
I also read in 1 reply to scratch the stockys carbon stock. Was wondering if there is more to explain for this opinion? Purely curious. I really love the manners eh6 but can't seem to find it anywhere. I love the look of the exposed carbon.

Sort of back to my original post would I benefit more from a carbon barrel or a custom action?
I think I covered all the replies. Thanks again.

My only issues with Stocky's is that I have bought several that even with the aluminum bedding block were so off square that the action could not bolt into them. They all went to a gun Smith who cut the blocks out and started over... just adds to the cost, therefore giving you money to put towards a higher end. That's just been my experience. Yes Manners are tough to come by... try Altus Shooting Solutions. That's where I found my CF manners T4A. Seriously look up Brad's Precision Rifles and give him a call to walk you through your options. Good luck!

My only issues with Stocky's is that I have bought several that even with the aluminum bedding block were so off square that the action could not bolt into them. They all went to a gun Smith who cut the blocks out and started over... just adds to the cost, therefore giving you money to put towards a higher end. That's just been my experience. Yes Manners are tough to come by... try Altus Shooting Solutions. That's where I found my CF manners T4A. Seriously look up Brad's Precision Rifles and give him a call to walk you through your options. Good luck!
Alright I'll check those places out. I just stumbled accross them when browsing the web. Their non sale price is about the price of a McMillan or manners anyways.

Alright I'll check those places out. I just stumbled accross them when browsing the web. Their non sale price is about the price of a McMillan or manners anyways.
Also, back to your other question... building off a Rem 700... yes squared, tried, blue printed... either a new action ordered through FFL dealer or Smith, or a used one you buy at a pawn shop, same end result. I love custom actions too... just makes the price tag go up. Reason for the 700 is that you get so many more options for triggers, bottom metal, etc. A 700 with a PTG bolt is a pretty good set up.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.