7mm decision build or nah.

If it's not, then what makes an aftermarket bottom metal assembly with only 1 detachable magazine worth $300-$400? How can that be justified?

Did I say aftermarket wasnt more expensive? Of course I didn't. But the Remington floor plate assemble sure as hell ain't worth $100 either. A simple search will show plenty of better options for a couple more bucks. This leaves you open to buying an adl for even less and getting a better end result. The Remington part must be making mother green a pile of money for whoever is actually buying one. $400 puts you firmly into Badger Ordinance territory; those are as solid as it gets if you want to spend that much.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=700+trigger+guard&userItemsPerPage=24

Instead of buying factory bottom metal I would use Hawkins BDL floor plate its really nice.

Did I say aftermarket wasnt more expensive? Of course I didn't. But the Remington floor plate assemble sure as hell ain't worth $100 either. A simple search will show plenty of better options for a couple more bucks. This leaves you open to buying an adl for even less and getting a better end result. The Remington part must be making mother green a pile of money for whoever is actually buying one. $400 puts you firmly into Badger Ordinance territory; those are as solid as it gets if you want to spend that much.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=700+trigger+guard&userItemsPerPage=24
No, I'm asking if factory aluminum bottom metal isn't worth $150, then what makes an aftermarket aluminum bottom metal worth over 2x as much? I never hear anyone complain about those prices, just the factory setup cost. Yes, the Badger was the one I was referencing for the $400 mark.

As a matter of fact, I've been pointing out for quite a number of years that buying an ADL and building on that saves you money in the long-run.

I guess I'm just confused then, Mud. I didn't say the more expensive ones were worth what they're asking. I didn't even mention them. I'm saying the factory stuff is not worth the dollar amount they put on it. If someone just happens to have a BDL to build then great. But I think someone using the $150-$200 figure to justify buying a BDL over a bare receiver is misleading in a way. For that amount there are aftermarket options that are much nicer. I completely agree that you're better off starting with an ADL.

Edit: some of the more expensive ones are certainly worth the asking price. The Badger Ordinance units for example are top notch imo...

Last edited:
I have bought several bdl remingtons from pawnshops Or gun stores for 400-450. The older polished blue rifles with jeweled bolts. Personally I'm fine with using a factory floorplate on most rifles. I don't know what other options for a hinged floorplate with spring, follower, and box are available for less.

I have bought several bdl remingtons from pawnshops Or gun stores for 400-450. The older polished blue rifles with jeweled bolts. Personally I'm fine with using a factory floorplate on most rifles. I don't know what other options for a hinged floorplate with spring, follower, and box are available for less.
Same here... Don't really see how you can improve on such a basic design to a point that it would be worth more than the stock equipment that functions fine...It's a bottom metal and spring-loaded follower, not much to improve on, other than box length. LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.