7mm decision build or nah.

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by JTURS, Feb 23, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. lancetkenyon

lancetkenyon Well-Known Member

Barrel life is 600-1000 rounds in a 28 Nosler.

I had a .280AI built for myself middle of last year. I already have 400+ rounds through it. Yes, that fun to shoot. And that accurate. 2.9" 3 shot group at 921 yards.
    I push a 175 Elite Hunter @ 2975fps in mine. Very close to 7RM velocities, and about 9-11 grains less powder.
    R700 LA trued
    Fluted bolt, TI firing pin, Wolfe Blitzschnell spring, carbon fiber bolt knob, alloy bolt shroud
    26" Proof Sendero Light 1:9"
    Hawkins 3 port brake
    Shilen Match trigger @ 1lb 6oz
    Manners EH1 bedded
    Seekins alloy 20MOA Picatinny rail
    Seekins alloy 30mm medium high (.92") rings
    March F 3-24×52
    Flatline Ops level

Rifle weighs 8lbs 13oz

There are two gunsmiths that I have multiple rifles from. Axisworks and Phoenix Custom Rifles. Depending on what you want to build and what chambering, I would recommend one of them. I am gathering parts for a new rifle build from each this year. That will make #4 from each.

I have shot custom rifles from probably 15-20 different builders. Most are fantastic. A few left minor details lacking. Only 2 would I stay far away from.

Has a different scope than in this photo now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  2. Hadderhunter

Hadderhunter Member

Mine 2.jpg

3. Hadderhunter

Hadderhunter Member

Just uploaded pic of the .28 Nosler Brad's Precision did for me. Proof CF barrell, Manners T4A CF stock, Trigger Tech Diamond, Defiance Deviant Tactical, Badger Bottom Metal... shes a beaut!

4. JTURS

JTURS Active Member

That is a beautiful rifle. I'm sure it's a shooter.

5. JTURS

JTURS Active Member

Thanks for the rec on the smith, I'm not that far from PHX I used to live up there till work relocated me around Tucson.

That is a nice rifle for sale pretty much what I'm looking to build. I wanna see if I can swing the cf barrel though. All you guys are selling me on the 280ai. Sounds more realistic then the 28 nos.

I guess I need to start looking for a donor rifle. Or maybe I will get a ptg action. I can't seem to find any used 700 for a decent price. Especially cause everything will be scrapped minus action.

6. JTURS

JTURS Active Member

Your rifle is literally what I have pictured in my mind.

7. lancetkenyon

lancetkenyon Well-Known Member

I know a place or two in AZ where you can get one built....

8. PartsJr.

PartsJr. Member

If I recall correctly the original Parker Otto Ackley cartridge had a .004” crush fit when chambering a standard .280 for fireforming. The NEW SAAMI round has a .014” crush fit. BOTH are meant to fireform .280 brass. If you want to buy factory loaded .280 A.I. ammunition go with the NEW SAAMI spec. Just wanted to mention it because you might need to educate your smith in the event they haven’t chambered many Ackley cartridges.

9. JTURS

JTURS Active Member

Thanks for the heads up. That good to know. I'll also do more research on it to educate myself.

10. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

Remember if you are looking for a donor action to figure in the cost of the bottom metal. If you are wanting to use a hinged floorplate that will add $150-200 to the cost. A good used bdl will already have that.

11. therifleman556

therifleman556 Well-Known Member

Factory bottom metal isn't worth $150...

12. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

Your opinion. Spring, box, follower, and floorplate will cost that much from brownells.

MudRunner2005 likes this.
  13. JTURS

JTURS Active Member

Thanks again. I will also keep that in mind.

14. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

If it's not, then what makes an aftermarket bottom metal assembly with only 1 detachable magazine worth $300-$400? How can that be justified?

Cuz likes this.