7mm decision build or nah.

JTURS

New to forum, long time lurker. I have been handloadsing several years now only 308 and 243 for my 700, and have done some mild to long range shooting for a while now just recreationally and hunting. Anyways.

Part 1
Debating a build or factory rifle for long range hunting(elk, deer mainly) or target shooting for fun. I was looking at 6.5 PRC or 280ai but I have recently ruled out the PRC, then figured if I get/build a long action 280ai why not step up to 28 Nosler. I'm in the middle of these two cartridges, I know they are in different fields but I like what I read about both. ( Keep in mind that I reload but will also get factory box ammo as well). My concern is how the 28 nosler will shoot lighter stuff for deer or medium size game.

Part2
I like the idea of a factory rifle but isn't much I see that I like except the Nosler m48 long range or carbon but seems for that price I could build something similar or better.

My must haves in rifle. 1/2 moa or less
Carbon stock, (manners, stockys, or Mesa)
Timney or similar trigger.
Hinge floor plate
Would like custom action but I think it will push me out of budget. So maybe a ptg action or blueprinted rem action from them
Would love to have proof carbon but might also be pushing it If not any match grade steel barrel no real preference.

My big debate is the m48 long range is everything I want minus a carbon barrel but I've read you can't fit some ammo in the box not sure if this true or not and could have better accuracy from a build. If I do go route of build I will have to have smith cut barrel and mount barrel etc.

If I build I'm unsure which route for action, I could swing a custom action but would have to scratch carbon barrel or visa versa. I really want light weight though.

I priced this last night
444$ Stockys carbon
136$+ 69$ stockys rem hinge floor plate kit
150$ timney
679$ ptg magnum long action
729$ proof carbon/or 350ish for another barrel open to options
Smithing fees unsure what they are, only need barrel mounted I can bed it myself and should be inletted already I think.

Wanted to stay around 2k ish before optics as you can see it same price range as the m48 long range which is 2500 I think
Thoughts and opinions please. Not positive on cartridge or rifle need some help. Thabks again

The CA Ridgeline is around 2k and I think the mag box is a little bigger. You can do everything you,want with the AI but the Nosler is tempting. Lists of options with the the 7mm. Stw, rm, wsm. Etc.. have fun and good luck with the search

The CA Ridgeline is around 2k and I think the mag box is a little bigger. You can do everything you,want with the AI but the Nosler is tempting. Lists of options with the the 7mm. Stw, rm, wsm. Etc.. have fun and good luck with the search
I looked at the CA ridgeline but I've read way to many mixed reviews about them to drop that much money on a rifle and wonder about it's quailty or longivity.

Could also try a Fierce rifle. I you want a bad@ss lightweight bullet load the 143 gr Hammer Hunters in a 28 Nosler and you won't be disappointed.

Could also try a Fierce rifle. I you want a bad@ss lightweight bullet load the 143 gr Hammer Hunters in a 28 Nosler and you won't be disappointed.
Thanks for the rec load. I looked at fierce just still seems I can build a better rifle 2k for cheapest and 2800 for next model. I'll keep it in mind thanks.

I looked at the CA ridgeline but I've read way to many mixed reviews about them to drop that much money on a rifle and wonder about it's quailty or longivity.
You're not going to get more features for $1850, I'm thinking the Ridgeline is hard to beat.
The bad reviews I've seen are from the early models

Personally I would swing right down the middle and do a 7RM

You're looking 350-400 for chambering and muzzle threading.

You can have a Kelbly for under 300 more than that ptg 700 action. I would do that.

Well the barrel on a 280AI will last twice as long as the barrel on a 28 Nosler!
I posted what the guy at Bartlein told me..If you want to shoot a 28 Nosler a
lot..Buy barrels in 6 packs..You will need them!
I like this. Buy a cannon and a six pack of barrels. Sounds like loads of fun. I bought 4 guns in the last year and never told the wife. Kids are out of college and I am 72. Time for fun at the range.

My old man bought a cooper LR in .28 Nosler after purchasing the Nosler Rifle and returning it twice due to issues. The nosler rifle is built off of a Howa platform just FYI. It sounds like you already know the answer to your own question. Build one off a Rem 700 with a good stock (not stockys) like a McMillan, or at minimum Bell and Carlson or even HS, get you proof CF barell and your going to spend pennies over what that factory rifle costs. My old man is trying to sell his Cooper LR to do just that. No factory rifle or semi custom factory rifle will ever compare to what quality components put together by a good gunsmith will. I just built a .28 with a Manners T4A CF, Defiance Deviant, Trigger Tech Diamond, PTG bottom metal, Proof CF 1:8 barrell... granted it was not 2 grand, but I have zero buyers remorse. Look at Brads Precision Rifles in Utah. He offers a $2k rifle that is everything your asking for. Guaranteed to shoot sub 1/2 MOA, but of course we all know, that's with tuned loads. Also, the short throat issue has not really been an issue. My experience has been that the .28 likes a little jump off the lands, and the VLD style bullets are designed for just that; as all of us guys with boomers erode throats... just sayin. Oh and by the way. Regardless, do what you want to do and have fun with it. Guns are so cool...

New to forum, long time lurker. I have been handloadsing several years now only 308 and 243 for my 700, and have done some mild to long range shooting for a while now just recreationally and hunting. Anyways.

Part 1
Debating a build or factory rifle for long range hunting(elk, deer mainly) or target shooting for fun. I was looking at 6.5 PRC or 280ai but I have recently ruled out the PRC, then figured if I get/build a long action 280ai why not step up to 28 Nosler. I'm in the middle of these two cartridges, I know they are in different fields but I like what I read about both. ( Keep in mind that I reload but will also get factory box ammo as well). My concern is how the 28 nosler will shoot lighter stuff for deer or medium size game.

Part2
I like the idea of a factory rifle but isn't much I see that I like except the Nosler m48 long range or carbon but seems for that price I could build something similar or better.

Hinge floor plate
Would like custom action but I think it will push me out of budget. So maybe a ptg action or blueprinted rem action from them
Would love to have proof carbon but might also be pushing it If not any match grade steel barrel no real preference.

My big debate is the m48 long range is everything I want minus a carbon barrel but I've read you can't fit some ammo in the box not sure if this true or not and could have better accuracy from a build. If I do go route of build I will have to have smith cut barrel and mount barrel etc.

If I build I'm unsure which route for action, I could swing a custom action but would have to scratch carbon barrel or visa versa. I really want light weight though.

I priced this last night
444$ Stockys carbon
150$ timney
Smithing fees unsure what they are, only need barrel mounted I can bed it myself and should be inletted already I think.

Wanted to stay around 2k ish before optics as you can see it same price range as the m48 long range which is 2500 I think
Thoughts and opinions please. Not positive on cartridge or rifle need some help. Thabks again

Part 1

Part2

Hinge floor plate

I priced this last night
444$ Stockys carbon
150$ timney

I was contemplating my next rifle for over two years. I currently have a Savage and a Weatherby Vanguard both in .270 Winchester. I hand load and with bullets up to 150gr my performance is real close to 7RM. Both rifles are ½ MOA shooters. For my next rifle I need something that will shoot a copper bullet with enough energy to perform well on deer and elk at 600+ yards (I live in the Republic of California). Although my Weatherby shoots 140gr TSX at 3200 FPS, 500 yards is pushing it to the limit. Looking past the 7RM my decision came down to either the 28 Nosler or the 7MM STW. After weighing the pros and cons of both I decided to go with the 7MM STW. The last deciding factor was economics. Reloading for the STW will save me enough money (the brass is way cheaper) by the time I burn out the barrel I will have saved enough money (as compared to the 28 Nosler) to pay for two more. I have purchased a Weatherby Vanguard stainless steel .300 Weatherby Magnum for the donor rifle. I can use everything on it and just change out the barrel. The barrel I have on order from McGowen. It is a 28" medium Palma with an 8.5" twist, threaded for a Howage nut. Using this system I change out the barrel easily when it reaches the end of its accurate life. Once this barrel has about 750 shots through it I will order a new barrel identical to the first. Once I swap out barrels I can send the first barrel back to McGowen to have it rechambered. Total cost of putting this together including tools and gauges - less than $1200.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.