7mm decision build or nah.

You should be able to buy a brand new Rem 700 ADL matt finish short or long action rifle for $400 - $500. Mine was in .25-06. Used it as is for a few years for my kids. Great round. Then I had my smith blue print action and built my .280 AI.
All said and done I could have paid a little more for an all custom action.
If you go the .280 AI route make sure you understand the difference between the original .280 Ackley Improved round and Remington's NEW .280 AI round. The length is different.

If you ever want/need to sell the rifle, you'll get more of your money back (on a % basis) with a CA Ridgeline or other nice factory rifle. From what I have seen, a semi-custom build on a "trued" 700 is less rare than an anti-gun Democrat.

You should be able to buy a brand new Rem 700 ADL matt finish short or long action rifle for $400 - $500. Mine was in .25-06. Used it as is for a few years for my kids. Great round. Then I had my smith blue print action and built my .280 AI.
All said and done I could have paid a little more for an all custom action.
If you go the .280 AI route make sure you understand the difference between the original .280 Ackley Improved round and Remington's NEW .280 AI round. The length is different.
No I didn't know there was a difference. Didn't know remington had a cartridge out called the 280ai .I type "ai" cause for an abbreviation to Ackley improved.

If I do get a donor right or action wouldnt i need a magnum long sction for the 28 nos or just a regular long action for the 280. Ackley

If I do get a donor right or action wouldnt i need a magnum long sction for the 28 nos or just a regular long action for the 280. Ackley
just a long action for the 280AI and a ultra mag for the 28 nosler.
The ultra mag will have the proper feed ramp and feed lips plus the mag box with the cut out windows

By semi custom do you mean just match barrel on a stock 700 action? My 700 in 308 is about 8 years old now it's a stock action with a factory 20" sps barrel I bedded action and pillars myself and inletted b&c stock for badger dbm. After load development this this is a tac driver. Sub 1/4 all day long with my handloads. Anyways.

I'm fine with building this off a 700 action but wasnt sure if it was taboo to put a cf barrel and stock on a factory action. Also if I barrel built it off a 700 action could it later be upgraded? As is trued, better bolt, or even custom action.

Building on a 700 action gives you the most options for stocks , bottom metal etc. A trued remmy action will shoot just as nice as those high dollar custom actions for your application. If you want to upgrade get a ptg bolt. The action just needs to be straight and square to the bore. The barrel is the key to an accurate rifle.

with the requirements listed I would suggest a build. There are a lot of great options out there in factory rifles, but they won't perform like one put together by a good smith. As Hadderhunter suggested, talk with Brad. I have a couple rifles from him and I can't say enough good about his work. I believe he actually has a 280 AI in the shop right now with a Proof carbon barrel that would be a fantastic setup and you may not even have to wait to have it put together. If you don't mind going through barrels the 28 Nosler is an unbelievable cartridge. A 7MM 180 gn bullet at 3200 fps is an absolute beast!

with the requirements listed I would suggest a build. There are a lot of great options out there in factory rifles, but they won't perform like one put together by a good smith. As Hadderhunter suggested, talk with Brad. I have a couple rifles from him and I can't say enough good about his work. I believe he actually has a 280 AI in the shop right now with a Proof carbon barrel that would be a fantastic setup and you may not even have to wait to have it put together. If you don't mind going through barrels the 28 Nosler is an unbelievable cartridge. A 7MM 180 gn bullet at 3200 fps is an absolute beast!
Thanks I will probably give him a call, I'm not sure If there is any reputable precision smiths around me in Southern Az. I'm sure there is. What is barrel life of a 28nos?

Thanks I will probably give him a call, I'm not sure If there is any reputable precision smiths around me in Southern Az. I'm sure there is. What is barrel life of a 28nos?
Hi JTURS I recommend joining coueswhitetail.com and get a hold of lancetkenyon also their is a beautiful custom 280AI on the boards there for 2500 pics of groups load data etc. The rifle is from a known respected builder in Phoenix. Lance could also steer you to other AZ gunsmiths. I live in AZ and hunt the Coues for 50 years. Let me know if you have more questions get you set up with good builder here in AZ.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.