7mm Dakota

chain

I am thinking of having a 7mm Dakota built. Will an '06 action work? I want this to be a somewhat light weight rig, Is this caliber suited for a light weight rifle? I have a light heavy weight 300 win, I have a heavy weight 308 and a middle weight 06. I am wanting a lightweight shooter that won't break my shoulder. It has been stressed by my 300 win ( No Brake ). This rifle would go west with me for elk and muleys. Thank you
PS Yes I do handload.

You can determine how much recoil is your limit by using this calculator:

Recoil Calculator

If a heavy 300 win mag beats you up you most likely won't like a lightweight 7 Dakota.

There are a few other considerations:

Brass availability and cost
bolt face has to be opened up to a non standard size (larger than magnum)
Special reamer
Special dies

This baby is gonna be expensive for performance that is similar to the 7 STW. If a 7 STW fits and feeds from your '06 it might be less expensive to build.

Quite frankly I would make a 7 rem mag as a lightweight western rifle. FYI I have two.

My 300 doesn't hurt to the point of flinching, but it weighs more than I would like this new rifle to weigh. Maybe I will go the 7 mag route. I will never give up hunting with the 300 win but when there are days when I know alot of walking and less horseback riding are in store, I would like a lighter rifle. Thanks

For an '06 action I think the 280 Ackley would be perfect.
It's a mild kicking round with very good performance.

Just a bit aside: I'm just getting my Dakota build finished at the mo and it comes in at 9lbs (just a bit under) with a NF 5.5-22. Used mcmillan hunters edge, trued remington 700, Talleys lightweight rings, alloy bolt shroud and firing pin. Nice and light for carrying around, but I have a brake on it otherwise it won't be nice to shoot. Expensive to get running with the brass etc, dies are not too bad as sinclair can get you some from redding.

If you don't want a brake on your rifle go for the 280AI (like mentioned above), as there is no need to open up the bolt face aand its mild recoiling (at least the ones I shot are). From talking with my gunsmith a 06 boltface can be opened up for the Dakota, but it gets a bit tricky (and costly) with feeding etc so he built mine on a 300 win mag action. Anyway, hope that helps

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.