7mm dakota

jon12

I was thinking about getting a rem sendero and having it rebarreled with an ss match grade barrel in probably 7mm rem mag, but is the 7mm dakota enough better to try? Would it kick that much more and can it be easily loaded down to 7mm rem mag velocities? Is there any accuracy improvement due to the nonbelted case or for any othre reason? Is the velocity gain even enough to worry about? Is it easy and enexpensive to convert a rem model 700 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag action to function with and feed 7mm dakota ammo?
Thanks.

I'd be concerned with the price and availability of 7mm Dakota brass.
There are many 7mm mag cartridges that will do the same job as the 7mm Dakota and brass will be much more available for all of them.
Why not just buy your Sendero in 7STW? Actually, the 7mm Rem mag is a pretty hard to beat cartridge that will enjoy a longer throat life than the turbo-charged 7mm's.

Just a thought.

VH

as I have said before , their is not enough benifit with the Dakota case to justify its cost per case and cost for dies.

Yea its shorter amd fatter than the 7mmRem mag maybe a little faster if you push it but you can get as good if not better accuracy with the 7mmRem Mag and just about as much velocity.
The only real benifit that I saw was that the cases are not belted and its a little bit shorter than the 300 Win mag
(I have the 300Dakota)

Personaly I would go with the 280Ai so you you could use Lapua brass and get longer barrel life or the 7mm WSM which has proven to be a very accurate round.
Both are easy to load for and you can get close to the same velocities as the bigger 7mm with longer barrel life and if you go the rout of the 280Ai you can always rechamber if you want.

jon12 7dakta brass is hard to find also.7wsm brass is cheaper and you still have the advantage of being short and fat . Speeds are about the same too.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.