7mm Dakota?

I found H1000 great with the 162 amax. I think it was 78.7 grns, driving the amax at 3200 (obviously be careful and work up to this). Re 22 got me more velocity, but H1000 had better SD and is regarded as being less temperature sensitive so I settled on this. Also 3200 fps is plenty:). Great cartridge, you should have alot of fun.

Craigf, I had a 7mm dakota built by Kevin Cram of Montour county rifles. Very happy with it. Shooting 180vlds at 3050. The gun killed two bulls this year.

I have one built on a Borden action, it was built by Kirby Allen or Fiftydriver here on LRH. I have had mine since 2009 and I like mine. I picked up my dies and 160 brass by checking classifieds on a couple of the different hunting forums. Brass seems to be good quality and lasts really well.
I am shooting 160 Nosler AB's in mine. Shooting 76 grains of H-1000 at 3120 FPS. I do not think you will go worng with the caliber.

RCDINAZ - Retumbo is slower burning than H1000 so you should be able to load a few more grains of Retumbo than H1000 for the same amount of pressure. If you are using 75 grain of H1000, I would think you could load at least 75 grains of Retumbo probably 76 or 77 grains.

I keep seeing the 75 76 77 grain? I am shooting retumbo in a 7mm dakota case improved and necked down to .277 I have the sweet spot at 69 1/2 grains of retumbo with a 169.5 grain bullet and am still over 3k the case is vary efficient most I have loaded was 72 grains but it just wasn't as good of an SD.

Not trying to discourage the Dakota, but another option would be the new 7LRM based on the 375 Ruger case. I have a 300 version about ready to put together called the 30/375 S.I. and have been toying with the idea of a 7 in the same design. My 3oo will have a 95 gr. capacity with a .330" length neck so a 7 version would be around 93-94 grs. with approx. .320" neck. This should at least equal the Dakota with a lot cheaper brass.........Rich

Yes it may well be cheaper, but you have to do work to get the .375 where it needs to be. My time is worth more than the work required to make a wildcat. The Dakota rounds are great, I am having a 330 built next.

Yes it may well be cheaper, but you have to do work to get the .375 where it needs to be. My time is worth more than the work required to make a wildcat. The Dakota rounds are great, I am having a 330 built next.

Good answer! If you don't enjoy all the fuss, and there is some, then the Dakota is the way to go. Good luck.......Rich

The Borden Timberline action is perfect for the 7mm Dakota. It is long enough to allow me to seat the 180 Berger to the junction of the neck an shoulder and still has adequate room in the magazine for good feeding.

I just finished building one with a Timberline action, Krieger barrel, McMillan A-5, and Leupold 8 - 25 LR scope. Greg Tannel of Gre-Tan rifles did the metal work. He has a reamer with a .312 neck, which allows me to neck turn my brass to .0125. This gives a loaded round a neck diameter of .309, which gives me a clearance of .0015 all the way around. Greg has a great reputation and does excellent work. He made me a set of dies using the same reamer he used to chamber the barrel and they are a work of art.

I was a little disappointed with the Dakota brass. I weight sorted them and they weren't that great. The cases I purchased from Midway were made by Norma. Dakota tells me that Hornady will be making their brass in the future, and that doesn't fill me with confidence. If I were to do it over again, I'd do a group buy with a few of you fellows, buy 300 rounds, and weight sort the brass into three groups - this way we'd all get brass that would be consistent in weight. But for the price we have to pay for Dakota brass they should rival Lapua in consistency.

The Borden Timberline action is perfect for the 7mm Dakota. It is long enough to allow me to seat the 180 Berger to the junction of the neck an shoulder and still has adequate room in the magazine for good feeding.

I just finished building one with a Timberline action, Krieger barrel, McMillan A-5, and Leupold 8 - 25 LR scope. Greg Tannel of Gre-Tan rifles did the metal work. He has a reamer with a .312 neck, which allows me to neck turn my brass to .0125. This gives a loaded round a neck diameter of .309, which gives me a clearance of .0015 all the way around. Greg has a great reputation and does excellent work. He made me a set of dies using the same reamer he used to chamber the barrel and they are a work of art.

I was a little disappointed with the Dakota brass. I weight sorted them and they weren't that great. The cases I purchased from Midway were made by Norma. Dakota tells me that Hornady will be making their brass in the future, and that doesn't fill me with confidence. If I were to do it over again, I'd do a group buy with a few of you fellows, buy 300 rounds, and weight sort the brass into three groups - this way we'd all get brass that would be consistent in weight. But for the price we have to pay for Dakota brass they should rival Lapua in consistency.

I know this thread is a little old but, I absolutely love my 7mm dakota best rifle I have ever owned. Also if you ever think about doing a bulk buy on brass I'd be in. I got a bag of 100 and it was really good stuff. It was easily within 2gr of lightest to heaviest piece and the majority was within a grain. The neck thickness was very close as well, all within 1-thou.

Anyway love the round.

Nathan

Nathan,
Thanks for the words of encouragement. When I get this rifle built I will get hold of you. I would be interested in a bulk brass buy.
Craig

Nathan,
Thanks for the words of encouragement. When I get this rifle built I will get hold of you. I would be interested in a bulk brass buy.
Craig

Sounds good Craig, you will not be dissapointed in your choice. I've bought and sold alot of rifles in the past customs and factory both. I usually buy play with it awhile and move on to something else this dakota I have will not be one of them. It is the absolute best gun I've ever had, probably has alot to do with the builder and components as well. It to me is the best balance between recoil and horsepower with the bigger bullets out of all the others I've tried.

I hope you get your rifle soon, and hope its as good to you as mines been to me.

Nathan

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.