7mm 160g SGK Experience on Game

Catskills

I've been playing around with RL26 in a 7mm08 and have found a great shooting load at 2725fps. I'm looking for hunting experience with this bullet. I've shot SGKs in different calibers/weights over the years. Several have proven to be fairly prone to over expansion/jacket separations, while at least one (.338 250g) proved to be too hard for elk at 400yds. The intended use is for big bodied whitetails and mule deer at <400yds.
I know many will suggest lighter bullets, but these shoot lights out and I really have no other use for these bullets. Thoughts on the likely effectiveness at this modest starting velocity?

My old man hunted for many years with 7rm & 160g sierras with great results.

The heavier bullet with lower muzzle velocity will reduce fragmentation and increase penetration.

The people recommending lighter faster bullets will most likely also recommend a tougher built bullet also to increase penetration🙃

I've used a fair number of them, bullet performance was very good. Proghorns to elk many drt or close by. Leaves a nice blood trail when they don't go down immediately.

I've been playing around with RL26 in a 7mm08 and have found a great shooting load at 2725fps. I'm looking for hunting experience with this bullet. I've shot SGKs in different calibers/weights over the years. Several have proven to be fairly prone to over expansion/jacket separations, while at least one (.338 250g) proved to be too hard for elk at 400yds. The intended use is for big bodied whitetails and mule deer at <400yds.
I know many will suggest lighter bullets, but these shoot lights out and I really have no other use for these bullets. Thoughts on the likely effectiveness at this modest starting velocity?
Love to know what bullets your using, powder is RL 26 and in a 7mmx08, really like to know more about what you found is a good load, Love me 7x08 also, and been shooting Hornady ELD-X and using them for white tail and mule's also on woodchucks out to 300. Heard that some Berger's are very good also, also some are talking about the Hammers, don't know anything about them. Are those Barns

Triple Shock X-Bullet

you using?

Well when they first came out i loaded some for Friend of mine to try. Because they shot really well.
After shooting Antelope at just over 300yrds 1" hole going in 6"+ exit. And took out the off shoulder. Later he shot Doe Antelope same result.
My opinion not good from what i seen.
Havent tested them in my Ballistics Gel yet.

At that velocity, should work really well on deer.

I shot the 165 gk out of an '06, low 2800s, and they always exited.

Keep them in that velocity range, they won't blow up.

In my younger days, I loaded and used the 160 grain Sierras alot in my 7mm rem mag. Shot alot of deer and a few antelope with them. They were very, very accurate and killed well. The biggest issue I saw was the bullets usually came apart. They were just to soft at higher velocities in my 7mm mag......I went to a bonded bullet and never looked back......

You should do great with those, got some friend that use them and have no problem. I do use speer btsp in 308win, 7mm mag and 338win and never have any problem to recover my game.

2725 fps out of 7mm-08 is very impressive, be careful especially shooting that load on a hot day may get a primer blowout. As far as Sierra 160 SBT this bullet might be a little too stout out of 7mm-08, it may produce delayed kill but it will anchor the game.