First experience with match type bullet on game

@LVJ76 quick google search helped. And in the interest of the thread and not taking away from the OP, I have one of an SMK as well.

219FDCCB-C360-49CC-A843-0631DFA964FE.jpeg

F93BEC08-9404-4C9B-81AE-9C9C92FF7C80.jpeg

34 years ago the only bullet I could get the groups I felt I was comfortable with in the rifle I was using was 140 hpbt matchkings. I choose the bullet I know I can place precisely over what others recommend. I would still use it in that rifle if I decided to use it tomorrow. Served me well for a while. Shot placement is higher on my priorities.

I believe a good hunting bullet, for use on medium to large game, should have controlled expansion and weight retention across a range of velocities. These will usually be monos or jacketed bullets with a bonded core or interlock ring in most cases. Match grade bullets generally aren't built this way. They may work on game depending on the circumstances but they are not designed for that use. In this case I'm guessing the shoulder shot resulted in bullet and bone fragments destroying the vitals. If it had entered soft tissue, the bullet may well have passed right through without a clean kill.

.308 155 scenars don't work on game? Really? On what planet?
Earth?
I shot a dozen coyotes and only one died from one shot, the others I'd shoot 3-4 times and there'd only be pencil holes through. I'd knock them down, they'd get up I'd shoot again, knock down they'd get back up. I'm actually embarrassed now how many times I kept trying them.

Earth?
I shot a dozen coyotes and only one died from one shot, the others I'd shoot 3-4 times and there'd only be pencil holes through. I'd knock them down, they'd get up I'd shoot again, knock down they'd get back up. I'm actually embarrassed now how many times I kept trying them.

Sorry they haven't worked for you. Every big game hunter I know that has tried them has loved the 155 scenar in 308 and 30-06.

Now I'm confused, isn't all about shot placement? Bullets and energy matter?:rolleyes:
I've learned that you can stuff a moth ball in the end of a 6.5 CM case and kill an elk at any distance. JK
I've used many different bullets and can say with certainty there are many Target bullets that kill with authority. AMAX and any Berger come to mind.

I used 168 gr Match King on a large 190 lb Georgia 8 point and the exit wound was so small i couldnt tell where it was until I skinned him. But he was DRT with liquified heart shot, just like yours. With that said I would refrain from using Match King Ammo for hunting as a general rule. It couldve cost me a trophy sized Buck.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.