Hammer Bullets. Any experience on game?

Brianc74

Looking to a new bullets choice for hunting big game up to Elk. Cartridges used are a 6.5Creedmoor, and a 6.5 GAP 4s. Both are custom barreled with 24" Proof Research Carbon barrels. Looking at the Hammer Bullets.

Brian

It won't be long. We are headed to Wyoming to shoot Antelope in a couple weeks with a 370 grain Hammer out of the 375 Zayne and the 131 grain Hammer out of my daughters 7mm-08. I'm very confident that the technology Steve has put into these bullets will anchor anything to the ground.

It won't be long. We are headed to Wyoming to shoot Antelope in a couple weeks with a 370 grain Hammer out of the 375 Zayne and the 131 grain Hammer out of my daughters 7mm-08. I'm very confident that the technology Steve has put into these bullets will anchor anything to the ground.
tagging in

I used the 101 grain .300 Black out bullets in a .308 at 3,400 feet per second on deer. I recovered one in the buck and the one from the doe in the dirt where it laid. Both weighed about 60 -65 grains. I bought a couple boxes of 6.5mm Hammer Hunter 124 but the rifle is at the 'smith getting a new barrel.

Glad you let the cat outta the bag with these, now I can start running my mouth (keyboard) about them! :D
Just kidding, I am waiting to see your results on game. Zayne needs to pop one out to about 1K so I can make some judgement on whether I want to use them for some ELR hunting outta my Snipetac.
My experience with Hammer bullets so far has been great accuracy without any trials with seating depth. Just found a good powder charge (with two different powders) and shot a couple groups under 1/4 moa.

The 394 shot incredibly accurate (.184 group) however it is very long. I asked Steve if he could make a shorter bullet so it didn't take up so much case capacity. His answer was a 370 Hammer. More aggressive secant ogive and a slightly longer boat tail with a added drive band. Testing has been interesting. The gun loves the bullet seated deep which is the total opposite of all the other bullet/rifle combos I have. We tried 2 seating depths so far. One with the drive bands seated in the case, and one with 2 drive bands out of the case. Between the 2, the deeper seated bullet showed the best accuracy. We did notice that N570 was too slow in the 28" barrel. The 121 grain charge showed pressure and signs of not using up all the charge. Velocity was terrible. We decided to go back to the drawing board and try Retumbo and RL 33. Just a tad bit fast powder might make all the difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.