Experience with 208 grain Hornady HPBT on game?

SaskShooter

Hey guys, I just finished my first full-custom long range hunting gun, and I went to the local Cabela's to pick up a box of 208 grain Hornady AMAXes for long range hunting critters from crows to whitetails and mulies. Unfortunately, I opened the box and discovered I'd gotten a mis-labeled box of of 208 grain HPBT's. After a frustrating week, I didn't even bother taking them back for exchange.

Now, Hornady lists the loading data for both the AMAX and HPBT to be exactly the same, so I just loaded up a few HPBT's to see how they'd shoot. They shoot veeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrry well.

I know lots of guys here have used the AMAX on game, and (correct me if I'm wrong) it expands fairly quickly, making it great for long distance, lower-velocity impacts.

Has anybody had experience with the HPBT?

We shot the 225 out of dads rum and he killed an elk with it at 550ish last year. It penetrated like 2 inches then it hit its back bone and disappeared. I don't know if it followed up its back bone or what happened but it was a dead elk after the shot either way. Don't know if that helps but its the only thing we've shot with it

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.