7mm 160g SGK Experience on Game

Recovered from a mule deer shot at about 150 yards with my 7mm Rem Mag. MV about 3050 fps. The 160 gr Sierra SPBT GameKing was found nicely expanded under the off-side hide. Muley buck had been quartering a bit towards me. Good penetration. Quick kill. Buck never took a step after the hit.

hgWXWNgh.jpg

I was pleased. :)

Regards, Guy

I shot Sierra GK in the 25-06 and the 270 win always the heaviest bullet I could get 120 and 150 and they are excellent deer bear and hog bullets. I would shoot that 160 with confidence out of a 7mm-08. At that velocity they should work outstanding!

Lot of hunter or shooter look at the New bullet with the higest bc, im part of it, but the older bullet have kill game for year... inside 400 yrds that not needed. That why my rifle that I bring on 400 yards hunt run on speer btsp they simply works and they are cheap!

Lot of hunter or shooter look at the New bullet with the higest bc, im part of it, but the older bullet have kill game for year... inside 400 yrds that not needed. That why my rifle that I bring on 400 yards hunt run on speer btsp they simply works and they are cheap!
Truth. I get wound up in it myself. The old ugly core-lokt has killed a plenty. I've used it with great success myself. Never lost an animal with it.

Speaking of which, shot some of the tipped core-lokt this weekend through a 270win (130gr) and my 308 gas gun (165gr). The 270 printed just over an inch at 200 yards off my range bag and a fortune cookie for rear support. It is a custom rifle though, built by JE custom. The 308 gasser shot the first three around half minute, 4 and 5 opened it up to about 1¼ moa at 100.

Not bad for factory fodder. I wish they do something with the core-lokt along the lines of a hybrid or eld-x.

I shot spbt gamekings out of my 308's and the 55gr out of a 22-250 for a long time. The 22-250 whacked a lot of whitetail and pigs. It would get used as a loner on cull/doe hunts. Nobody ever lost anything with it. The 150gr spbt is my dad's favorite bullet out of a 270win. Simple and effective. I'm currently shooting the 85gr hpbt version in a 243ai. Haven't killed a deer with it yet but it's hard on yotes.

Truth. I get wound up in it myself. The old ugly core-lokt has killed a plenty. I've used it with great success myself. Never lost an animal with it.

Speaking of which, shot some of the tipped core-lokt this weekend through a 270win (130gr) and my 308 gas gun (165gr). The 270 printed just over an inch at 200 yards off my range bag and a fortune cookie for rear support. It is a custom rifle though, built by JE custom. The 308 gasser shot the first three around half minute, 4 and 5 opened it up to about 1¼ moa at 100.

Not bad for factory fodder. I wish they do something with the core-lokt along the lines of a hybrid or eld-x.

I shot spbt gamekings out of my 308's and the 55gr out of a 22-250 for a long time. The 22-250 whacked a lot of whitetail and pigs. It would get used as a loner on cull/doe hunts. Nobody ever lost anything with it. The 150gr spbt is my dad's favorite bullet out of a 270win. Simple and effective. I'm currently shooting the 85gr hpbt version in a 243ai. Haven't killed a deer with it yet but it's hard on yotes.
Im hopping to had a deer this fall wtih my 338win toped with a 225gr speer btsp. 7mm mag and the 308 have done wonder so just what to see the diffrence in the damage on deer at 200yds or 300yds

In my earliest hunting days I was shooting a 7mmWBY and Sierra GK bullets. Even though they killed well, the fact that core/jacket separation was almost guaranteed lead me to look for alternatives.

Eventually, I started using the 160Accubond and the results were always excellent. Today there are many good hunting bullets but few will perform any better than the time-tested Accubond IMO.

OP, what is your barrel length ?
22.4" (Tikka T3x). I'm using 51g of RL26 in Nosler brass with a 210 primer. I went up to 52g with no signs of pressure. Velocity at 51.5g was 2800. FWIW, Quick Load predicts pressure is under 60,000psi with 53.2g shooting 162 Hornady BTSP. For those who haven't played around with RL26, in appropriate applications, it frequently gives an extra 100fps over more usual powders at similar pressure.

Last edited:
In my earliest hunting days I was shooting a 7mmWBY and Sierra GK bullets. Even though they killed well, the fact that core/jacket separation was almost guaranteed lead me to look for alternatives.

Eventually, I started using the 160Accubond and the results were always excellent. Today there are many good hunting bullets but few will perform any better than the time-tested Accubond IMO.
Agreed, but the problem for us guys shooting 7mm cal right now is there are very few 160 Accubonds available for a guy to shoot. I haven't seen that grain slug on a shelf in 3 years. So, guys are trying what they can get their hands on. Nosler has probably lost a ton of money and shooters with their complete lack of products available over the components drought and a bunch of us have gone to Hammers or some of the old cup and core stuff which is really economical to shoot.

Recovered from a mule deer shot at about 150 yards with my 7mm Rem Mag. MV about 3050 fps. The 160 gr Sierra SPBT GameKing was found nicely expanded under the off-side hide. Muley buck had been quartering a bit towards me. Good penetration. Quick kill. Buck never took a step after the hit.

hgWXWNgh.jpg

Regards,

hgWXWNgh.jpg

Regards, Guy
Excellent result! Great to be able to retrieve a bullet that worked perfectly. What powder did you use to push the 160 Sierra in your 7mag? Enjoyed your latest video on UR highlighting the new Forester dies. Thanks

I've got lots of experience with 160 Accubond….but at 3300+ I'm saving my stash of 160 Accubonds for use in a STW. SGK were cheap and available when I started this project and I'm hoping the modest velocity will line up with optimal velocity window. I also have 140 Ballistic Tips that shoot well.

I have no intention of using on anything bigger than large deer.

Have always enjoyed on game performance and accuracy with SGK,s. Seems if ever having trouble getting a gun to shoot I turn to game kings.

Agreed, but the problem for us guys shooting 7mm cal right now is there are very few 160 Accubonds available for a guy to shoot. I haven't seen that grain slug on a shelf in 3 years. So, guys are trying what they can get their hands on. Nosler has probably lost a ton of money and shooters with their complete lack of products available over the components drought and a bunch of us have gone to Hammers or some of the old cup and core stuff which is really economical to shoot.
120gr ballistic tip have been unavailable forever also. Been wanting to load them for my wife's 7-08.