First experience with match type bullet on game

Looking at the sectioned pictures there is over 2X's as much Copper in the X as there is in the M?. Thicker at the bottom with a retaining ring. A totally different jacket and so
they should preform differently..Melt the lead out and weigh the Copper only...?

Looking at the sectioned pictures there is over 2X's as much Copper in the X as there is in the M?. Thicker at the bottom with a retaining ring. A totally different jacket and so
they should preform differently..Melt the lead out and weigh the Copper only...?

Whomever sectioned these bullets did it with an agenda. They didn't section the 'X' in the middle so you are not seeing a fair cross-section of the jacket but rather an angled model. These deceptive photos not withstanding, the X does have a tapered jacket and seems to have better retained weight and penetration. The BC is higher on the 'M' style bullet though.

I have killed a few things including bull elk with the 143 ELD-X from my 6.5-284. All mine have exited. Most were either DRT or only a few steps taken.

Bergers started out as match bullets and guys were having great luck with them killing well too. Berger got a bunch of us to test them out and they concluded the pointed bullets allowed enough delay in expansion that they performed very well in medium game. The build the heavier jacket version when guys were pushing them too hard in magnums so they would stay together.

I didn't take that photo. I have no affiliation with the sectioned photo. It was literally a 60 second google search.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.