7mm-08 Bullet Choice for Stone Sheep inside of 500 yards

Which bullet for stone sheep hunt inside of 500 yards w/ 7mm-08?

• Barnes TTSX 120

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nosler Ballistic Tip 140

• Nosler Ballistic Tip 150

• Hornady ELDX 150

• Speer Hot Core 145

• Total voters
I tend to go to the heavier bullets in general. While living in Germany a few years ago, I hunted with mostly hornady superformance SST's in 165gr with amazing results (I shot 26 animals during my 2 years as a licensed (German) hunter. I shot a Mouflon (similar in size to stone sheep) in Slovenia at 382 meters with my 308 and the ram rolled down the hill, DRT. Shot a Silver Medal Red Stag, also in Slovenia using the same ammo at 200 meters and recovered a nicely mushroomed bullet on the off shoulder just under the skin. The superformance/SST's put everything down very quickly, even wild board.
Now that I'm back in the states and not limited to factory ammo, I usually load with accubond and accubond long range bullets, but they are way more expensive and harder to find (at least for me, so I'm slowly moving to ELDX and I just bought some speer impact to try in 30 Cal. I have a supply of SST and depending on the caliber and if the gun likes them (like my 308) I load those.
Although not thick skinned, rams are tough and hardy so a premium bullet is better in my opinion, and if your gun will shoot them really accurately, I'd use 150-170 grain bullets.

Between these, what would be your pick for shots 500 yards and in, out of a 7mm-08?

Assume all have equal accuracy out of the rifle
Not sure about those but I do know an older gentleman that's loaded cartridges for many years and the 7 08 is one of his favorites. According to him a Seirra 120 green tip is one of the meanest bullets.

Inside 500yds.

162 ELDM @ 2600-2650. Flies better in the wind.

Will be within 1 moa drop of a 140NBT at 2900fps. About Same energy. At 500.

Sorry meant to say same velocity. Not energy. The 162 will carry a lot more energy (around200 more) then the 140 at 500.

Thanks for all the feedback, Gentlemen. After all of this, when I took my 7mm-08 to the range with a variety of loads, it didn't love any of these. The best the 7mm-08 did does not compete with what my old faithful Browning .270 A-Bolt does with 140 gr Ballistic Tips over a mild 51 gr load of RL 19. MV is 2700 which carries me to 500 @ 1797 fps (3 fps short of 1800 expansion) at sea level. Just got back from the range confirming my drops for the .270 (.5 mil @ 200 yds, 1.3 mil @ 300 yds), and have plugged into my Leica Ballistic app and fed over to the 2800.com rangefinder. At this point all the fiddling and tinkering and second guessing my shooting setup is done. Now I just hope to be worthy of this hunt and my guide's efforts, and give all I have mentally and physically. I'll be sure to loop back when I return and let you all know how it went. All the best,
GA

View attachment 480052
I have a trusty old A Bolt as well, in 280 REM. Used it on my only sheep hunt.

I used 140 Accubond and they did the trick.

Since you decided on your shooting setup, lots of practice is in your future, and most of all good luck! Hope to see a photo of success!

150 ELDX has great BC and terminal performance. And the BT is a pretty awesome performer too. I'd go higher BC less wind calculation at range on a windy mountain side.
YES, the ELD-X is an awesome 7mm-08 Bullet "Choice", IMO.
My son killed, a 6x5 mature Bull Elk at 247 yards across a small canyon in the Idaho desert with, the bullet, going thru at an Angle, penetrating deeply thru,.. Rib's, lung and thru most of the Offside Ham ( shattering the Femur Bone ). Weight retention was around 65% at 97 grs.
It was very accurate, in his Tikka, T-3X lite, sub 7.5 pound, Rifle.
We've had, great Luck in our 6.5's on Deer also with, 2 pass thru's ( at 200-300 yards ) and one bullet found, just under the Hide at 468 yards !
The Hunting Elites and Classic, Bergers, are My Family's First Choice, on Elk / Deer,.. the ELD-X's run, a very CLOSE, Second !

Last edited:
I made the mistake of taking an Antelope with accubonds. 4 pencil holes :))
AGREE with THIS ^^^
Accubonds are Fine, if you want to, Blow thru a Grizzlies Scull and, scramble his Brains.
It's, a "Hard Bullet" and the mushrooms are small, so I SOLD all mine, after a "Bad" experience on a Bull Elk at 65 yards, in Northern Az.
He Died eventually, a couple of Minutes later, but I seriously thought about,.. shooting him, Twice !
Now with, Bergers / ELD-X's,.. DRT !

Last edited:
Something to think about: is your hunt over if you draw blood? All of the high end hunts I have been on in Alaska, Yukon, and BC stipulate that if you wound an animal, your hunt is over. In Alaska, it is the law that you punch your tag if you draw blood. I haven't hunted in Canada in a while, but I suspect the guides there follow the law - the risk is too great not to.

As I have said, there are plenty of guides in the lower 48 that do the same thing. The reason? They are tired of guys claiming they can kill at long range only to wound.

The 140 gr accubonds would be far superior to the ballistic tip in regards to terminal performance. Driving them at 2800 fps muzzle velocity they will do what needs to be done under a wider range of scenarios. I wouldn't use ballistic tips on coyotes 🤷‍♂️

On lung shots in my experience that was not the case, yes it left two holes, but small holes in and out, and on lungs as well that caused a slow death, unlike the damage I get with softer bullets. Lungs destroyed and in some cases the animal drops where it's at.

Again, if you like shoulder shots, they might work better, but not on double lung shots. Maybe on elk, but not smaller game.