7mm-08 Bullet Choice for Stone Sheep inside of 500 yards

Which bullet for stone sheep hunt inside of 500 yards w/ 7mm-08?

• Barnes TTSX 120

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nosler Ballistic Tip 140

• Nosler Ballistic Tip 150

• Hornady ELDX 150

• Speer Hot Core 145

• Total voters
140 Barnes TTSX. I have harvested several elk out to 600yds with excellent results. The key in my experience relates to the mass. Energy and stability the heavier bullet is capable of. A 120 maybe faster in most situations. However hunting in steep open mountain terrain you maybe shooting in odd angles from one position and firing a round across a windy descending ridge line at a ram 4-600 yds away. 140 all day long. Good luck. Shooting and practice for any wilderness hunt requires you over prepare! Suck it up and hunt to the day, lady hour and celebrate your time on the mountain. 100% Vietnam combat veteran USMC
I would not shoot the 140ttsx at 7/08 velocities. I had poor wounding at 7 mag velocities on deer sized game. It's a tough bullet with a high sd. Elk maybe. Deer and sheep no.

I would not shoot the 140ttsx at 7/08 velocities. I had poor wounding at 7 mag velocities on deer sized game. It's a tough bullet with a high sd. Elk maybe. Deer and sheep no.
I'm really not a fan of the tsx/ttsx at all. The LRX is a better bullet in every metric.

Well, I am making my way back home, currently in Vancouver. We were originally chasing a 38.5 inch (I know this because a resident later killed it and we measured it) lighter colored ram but due to fog got busted on opening day. A couple days later when the weather let up on our way back into that series of bowls we ran into a another dark caped ram that I had seen during scouting and also liked a lot. I feel very fortunate to have gone on a stone hunt and to have been successful. I'll not be able to afford another one. The ram was originally over 500 yds away but fed right to us, and I took him at 120 yards.

IMG_4194.jpeg

Last edited: