Stone Sheep scope

It's hard to cover all the potential ways to minimize weight for any type of hunt let alone a high altitude, rough terrain sheep hunt. The scope is certainly not the only place to try to achieve less weight.

ATACR, yes it might be a tick heavier but I could leave one snickers bar out of my pack for the hunt to even the difference.

:D

I usually blame myself for the extra few pounds I've managed to add to my personal frame. I also usually like to carry a fairly heavy rifle. I'm just not a fan of ultralight or light rifles. So I have to resort to more preparation exercise in order to be capable of maintaining my intentions when hunting.

I've been using March, Tangent Theta and Swarovski.

Enjoy the variety!

:)

Not been on a sheep hunt in the the US, but have been on mountain hunts in Kyrgyzstan, Croatia and Spain. I used a Swaro Z6i 5-30x50 (had it for about 15 years). Now have a March 2.5-25x50 also which was bought to replace it on my 7 Practical. The March hasn't been tested hard, but the swaro has always been faultless. The March has less light transmission for sure, and not as good for general use, But I kept reading bad things about swaro re their dialling and durability. My Z6 has had a few knocks and has been fine. So it never happened to me. Anyway I'm from England and in Europe Sworo is the unconditional top scope brand really, we never get bad reviews of them tbh, but I see some of the limitations of them. So for potential long range foreign hunts I changed, and after 15 yrs of 5x being the lowest being able to go down to 2.5x seemed an almost universal option with the March. We'll see…

Last edited:
Not been on a sheep hunt in the the US, but have been on mountain hunts in Kyrgyzstan, Croatia and Spain. I used a Swaro Z6i 5-30x50 (had it for about 15 years). Now have a March 2.5-25x50 also which was bought to replace it on my 7 Practical. The March hasn't been tested hard, but the swaro has always been faultless. The March has less light transmission for sure, and not as good for general use, But I kept reading bad things about swaro re their dialling and durability. My Z6 has had a few knocks and has been fine. So it never happened to me. Anyway I'm from England and in Europe Sworo is the unconditional top scope brand really, we never get bad reviews of them tbh, but I see some of the limitations of them. So for potential long range foreign hunts I changed, and after 15 yrs of 5x being the lowest being able to go down to 2.5x seemed an almost universal option with the March. We'll see…
Love my Swaro scopes. I use only Z6 and above.

Great to see you post!

Your experience from across the pond would welcomed wholeheartedly as a terrific addition to all our American and Canadian members. Yes New Zealand and Australia, too. Please don't hesitate to post!

:)

Other options that are less costly and bullet proof are fixed power options. The SWFA HD 10, S&B has both tactical and hunting versions. US Optics. I shoot a few swfa fixed powers all are the less expensive versions. The HD version glass is Razor and ATACR level not alpha like TT but will not cause a lack of shot. I can watch the 22lr bullet go through the paper with the 10x @ 50yds. I can watch the last 15' of bullet travel into both a black or white painted target at 200yds with the 20x with the 22lr. Obviously with top tier glass you would also.
If you went the SWFA route you could also grab the less expensive version put it on a CZ455-457 and still have money for good 22lr ammo to get the needed time behind the reticle to be extremely proficent by the time the hunt comes.

Outta curiosity, why never a Swaro? Know a few guys that have the Z6 ion their "Sheep rifles" and really like 'em.
I have had two break on hunts, and have sent a few others back. Best glass there is but turrets and tracking are crap compared to NF and Trij.

I have had two break on hunts, and have sent a few others back. Best glass there is but turrets and tracking are crap compared to NF and Trij.
I had a Z6 fail me on a cross country drive. I know it was sighted in perfectly before I left, only to be 4" low when I got to sheep country.
I had a Z8 fail me out of the box.
While I love the glass, I'm thinking of another brand.

I put a 4-20 x 50 Nightforce ATACR on my 6.5 PRC and I love the entire set-up. The scope is great, the magnification is awesome. I had the 4-16 x 50 and sold it for the 4-20 x 50 just in case a really long shot was needed. To be honest I do not have , nor have I looked through, a TT or A ZCO. I hear they are awesome but I would not hesitate to spend the money for a high dollar sheep hunt and take this scope. Of course that is if I was ever lucky enough to be able to go on a high dollar sheep hunt..... :)