Self-guided Dall/Stone-sheep hunt possible?

Villreinjeger

Hello fellow hunters.

I'm a keen hunter of 32 from Norway. I'm very fond of the mountains, and have been lucky enough to be able to hunt reindeer for a while now. I've grown up on a farm, and have to admit I don't have the necessary funds available to go hunting for those sheep with a full guided trip.. I can afford the transport and flight though if a put aside the money.

Nevertheless I've dreamed about hunting Dall/Stone sheep since I was a kid and found a hunting article on the Dall sheep.

Are there any chance to enter a ballot as a foreigner and draw a permit?
I have the gear needed, know the hills and how to stay alive..

Any good advice is welcome!

Cheers,

Kristoffer

Hello fellow hunters.

I'm a keen hunter of 32 from Norway. I'm very fond of the mountains, and have been lucky enough to be able to hunt reindeer for a while now. I've grown up on a farm, and have to admit I don't have the necessary funds available to go hunting for those sheep with a full guided trip.. I can afford the transport and flight though if a put aside the money.

Nevertheless I've dreamed about hunting Dall/Stone sheep since I was a kid and found a hunting article on the Dall sheep.

Are there any chance to enter a ballot as a foreigner and draw a permit?
I have the gear needed, know the hills and how to stay alive..

Any good advice is welcome!

Cheers,

Kristoffer

In Alaska, unless you are a resident or have a relative within second degree of kindred hunting with you a, guide is required to hunt Dall sheep.

Gus

So I can enter a ballot, maybe be lucky to draw a permit, but still have to get a guide?

I suppose this will be some cheaper than actually buying a complete hunt?

Could anybody give me an approximate figure og what a guide would cost me for such a hunt? 10 days is probably a minimum number of days to have a fair chance of success?

In Alaska most areas still have over the counter tags (no draw, unlimited tags). Most outfitters/guides have pricing listed on their websites but I think you are looking at about $10,000 USD minimum. The need for a guide and the high cost make this a tough species to hunt for non-residents.

I feel fortunate that I am going along on a friends Dall sheep hunt this august. He is a Alaska resident and I am going along as his packer/spotter/camp cook/sherpa... just to get into the mountains and hopefully see a sheep hit the dirt. For me, it's 99% of the experience for 10% of the cost.

Good luck on your quest!

That figure is waaay out of my range - so I guess I'll keep watching the great threads on here.

Or, what does it take to become an Alaskan resident? Do you have as nice blondes as we do over your way? ;)

I hope you get a good trip in there Geene, it's some big country! Sort of Tiger country too..

How is it in the lower 48? Montana, Wyoming etc, any ballots there?

Last edited:
You could emmigrate to Canada easier than to the United States, the Canadians are hurting for European immigrants, due to their very laxidasical immigration situation with India and China.

If you lived in the Yukon you could hunt Stone and Dall sheep every year as a resident.

Alaska, Yukon Territory, North West Territories are all sufficiently lacking in quality blonds. Hope you like Eskimo women.

No knowledge of the Eskimo women, but find it hard to leave the scandinavian blondes.

Anyhow I better start saving.. 'cause I really want to go back-pack hunting for Dall sheep once in my life.

Buy a raffle tickets at the GSCO convention for a hundred bucks. Odds are not good, but where else can you get a sheep hunt for a hundred buck raffle ticket.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.