Stone Sheep scope

Today I looked at Swaro and Trijicon side by side.

The high end Swaro was wow glass not too busy of a reticle and north of 4K. Presetable turret was meh at best!!

The Trijicon Credo HX was 1K-ish rugged and excellent feeling turrets, reticle lighting was also excellent. This was in a store looking out the window but glass seemed very good and at a factor of 4/1 cost it will be what I put on my 300 PRC.

Nightforce- I think I have bought and sold each of their lines except Actar. I have shot some animals and long range sessions but I can't help to move on each time I think I've found "the one". For me, losing the sight picture under recoil is such a common thing with Nightforce I can't force myself to own one. If I get some rounds down range with the Trijicon and the same thing happens maybe I'll go back and try the Atacr.

TT may be in the cards someday but not today.

NF 2.5-10-42

(side note, I'd be on NF or SWFA)

If you're into a good read go over to RoKslide and read Forms info on scopes. It'll open your eye's and or should:)

NF 2.5-10x42 NXS is what I took on my stone hunt

IMG_4214.jpeg

I think we need to discuss weight since OP specifically mentioned a sheep rifle. TT and ZCO are fairly heavy, as are most NF scopes. Not a big deal for some…my son shot a Cali sheep this year with the ZCO and the rifle weighs about 10 lbs, just like I like them.

But for some, especially those that hunt Dall or Stone sheep, ounces count and those scopes mentioned above may not work. There I would probably look at the NF 2.5-10x42.

Rifle scope or spotter?

Rifle scope I'd probably get a minox zp5 5-25x56 w/ thlr reticle. (Other option NF r swfa)

Spotter, kowa 774.

Although I'm not likely to make one, I'd have a tough time trusting anything other than one of the following that met the weight range I'd want.

NF ATACR 4-16x42 (30oz)
NF NXS 2.5-10x42 (20.5oz)
Trijicon Tenmile HX 3-18x44 (24oz)
TT 315H (27oz)
TT 315M (28oz)

Last edited:
Well my TT 315H is 27 oz ...and on a statistical basis of one it is very good--very, very good.

I have 2 non-illum Swarovski X5s...again for SFP...very very good. The 3.5x18 is the same weight 27oz. I'd say on par with the TT 315.

I had a Nightforce 2.5x10 32mm that was 20 oz--was it nice but a MOA and SFP so it went packing as I had other stuff I wanted. Not on par with the above though

For a sheep gun--I know Nightforce makes a 2.5x10 24mm mil/mil--you could mount it low--good adjustment and can mount it low. Also 17oz you could keep it light. The NSX glass is not near the quality of TT, Swaro X5, or Z8...but plenty serviceable

Nightforce, no question. Big fan of the NX8 2.5x20
I would never take a swaro on a hunt like that(again).

Outta curiosity, why never a Swaro? Know a few guys that have the Z6 ion their "Sheep rifles" and really like 'em.