7mm-08 Bullet Choice for Stone Sheep inside of 500 yards

Which bullet for stone sheep hunt inside of 500 yards w/ 7mm-08?

• Barnes TTSX 120

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nosler Ballistic Tip 140

• Nosler Ballistic Tip 150

• Hornady ELDX 150

• Speer Hot Core 145

• Total voters
Well, I am making my way back home, currently in Vancouver. We were originally chasing a 38.5 inch (I know this because a resident later killed it and we measured it) lighter colored ram but due to fog got busted on opening day. A couple days later when the weather let up on our way back into that series of bowls we ran into a another dark caped ram that I had seen during scouting and also liked a lot. I feel very fortunate to have gone on a stone hunt and to have been successful. I'll not be able to afford another one. The ram was originally over 500 yds away but fed right to us, and I took him at 120 yards.

View attachment 484011
So awesome! Very happy for you! Congratulations.

I have loaded 130 scirocco's for my 270 weatherby, however nosler ballistic tips i'm sure will serve you well at those velocities. My fear was always at well over 3k they are a little fragile. Good luck on your hunt and report back, love me some sheep hunting!
I'd always wanted to try a 270 wby, always thought it about perfect but have always had a 257 wby--with plenty of brass. Getting a new tube on one of my 257s at 1-7.5 twist...to shoot 130s...kind of like a 270 wby light...

One the bullet if I was packing a 7-08 no doubt I'd do the 120 ttsx or a hammer in a 120-130 grain and push it as fast as I could

Ed

OP,can you tell us why you switched to the 270 wcf,when you were asking about the bullets for your 708 ?. Owning both and knowing their very capable I was just wondering,thks beautiful sheep Congratulations,cheers.

OP,can you tell us why you switched to the 270 wcf,when you were asking about the bullets for your 708 ?. Owning both and knowing their very capable I was just wondering,thks beautiful sheep Congratulations,cheers.
Thank you jjmp! The 270 was giving me 1/3 MOA groups out to 300 yards and I couldn't get close to that with anything I loaded for the 7mm-08. I had a 280 AI and a 300 WM also in the running over the summer, but the 270/140 BT combo rose to the top. The 7mm-08 was a last minute challenger. If that weren't enough, the 270 was given to me by my father back in 1996, 3 years before he passed away. Between that, the accuracy, and JOC's endorsement, how could I not take it :) As you can imagine, this made the hunt, the ram, the memories, and the rifle all the more special.

Well, I am making my way back home, currently in Vancouver. We were originally chasing a 38.5 inch (I know this because a resident later killed it and we measured it) lighter colored ram but due to fog got busted on opening day. A couple days later when the weather let up on our way back into that series of bowls we ran into a another dark caped ram that I had seen during scouting and also liked a lot. I feel very fortunate to have gone on a stone hunt and to have been successful. I'll not be able to afford another one. The ram was originally over 500 yds away but fed right to us, and I took him at 120 yards.

View attachment 484011
Beautiful Ram congratulations 👍👍

GA Sheephunter, thank you kindly for that answer , it's a Wonderful thing to Honor your Father,and all the other reasons make sense also ,im sure your Father is very proud of you,Congrats any enjoy all your great memories 🥳👏👏🍀,Cheers

I've shot a couple Dall sheep with the 140gr accubond out of my 7mm-08 and they both fell right over, both shots were inside of 250 yds. Next vote would be the 120 TTSX, lots of whitetails have felt the wrath of that bullet and they don't go far.