7-08 140grs Accubond - good sheep bullet inside 450-500m?

jjmp,

Not sure you had me, :) however there are many merits to the 7mm cal as there are with the.30 cal's.. I was, and have been a big fan like I said earlier of the 7x57mm.... myself shooting one for a few years while hunting Elk & Deer. I had a Win 70 feather weight to start with then a Rem M700 Classic both were superb, I personally was really big on the heavy bullets, up to my favorite the 175gr RN... they killed like a 60's Buick grill during grasshopper season. I see why O'Conner and W.D. M Bell liked the 7x57's... Bell'..., who liked the rimmed .275 Rigby version and both of them shot game all over the world with them. Of course the case spawn some great cartridges, 257 Robert, 6mm Rem, 6.5x57 and more; I believe'.., like the 8x57mm

So without getting to far off the story line (7-08).. I think today I'd jump all over the .284 Win again.. with today's 7mm bullets it would be hard to beat as a light weight rifle combo.. and as for a .30 cal.. how about the .30-284 Win I've seen some great LR scores with that one as well, a few friends I've shot with in Canada loved it.

Blwebster,
Something about shooting in the field with older cartridges and rifles.. stay with the 7x57mm and have fun.

Now days I take my 1942 Mod 94 .30-30 or my 1972 Mod 94 .44 Mag on 90% of my deer hunts, they never fail if I do my part.. the other 25 rifles in the safe I'm sure are quite jealous. You know it makes a guy kinda nostalgic; you feel like those hunts when we were younger, great memory brought back into the woods, setting around the camp fire and thinking about them over again.

Have fun, live life guys...:)
Cheer's

Blwebster,thanks for comming bac and sharing your fond memoirs. i can only imagine hunting the Beautiful Gods country of British Columbia,when im in Canada i always ask the residents which is the most beautiful province , and without fail they say BC of course!!!!! your 7 mag HUSKY sounds Legend and hunting Moose and ELK , WOW your living right is all i can say,CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!! man oh man please tell us some hunting stories, and your Boys cutting their teeth on the 7x57 Wonderful and hunting wolf 2 wow i'm all ears my Friend in the great white north! i'm so happy your talking to us THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! very nice to here about your rifles in 700 rem's set up right their Boreing in the GREATS ways. i'm in my late 50's and this STUFF makes me feel like a Kid again .great hearing and talking to ya!!!!

regards and Cheer's jjmp

436 you know i was just being funny:) heck you and blwebster could write books on this stuff , Thank you for shareing also wonderfull reading your life stories.

you know your history about the rounds you mention and i agree wholehearted with you thanks.

this is what makes these forums sing in my opinion, good Men telling it the way they lived it , look at all the Knowledge thank each and everyone of you posters for makeing this happen, NO i'm not forgeting you woodswise Women your Front row also!!!!:D

regards and cheer all round! jjmp

436 you know i was just being funny:) heck you and blwebster could write books on this stuff , Thank you for shareing also wonderfull reading your life stories.

you know your history about the rounds you mention and i agree wholehearted with you thanks.

this is what makes these forums sing in my opinion, good Men telling it the way they lived it , look at all the Knowledge thank each and everyone of you posters for makeing this happen, NO i'm not forgeting you woodswise Women your Front row also!!!!:D

regards and cheer all round! jjmp

JJMP,

Well thank you for the kind words, glad you enjoy the information and experience of other hunters like yourself, remember it's all about the memory's we make in our lives and the friends we share them with.:)

Take care, stay safe.
Cheer's

436, You are so very welcome!!!! and i thank you for your kind words also,

ditto what 436 said x a Billion, you also take care and be safe ,regards my Friend,

jjmp

jjmp,

Not sure you had me, :) however there are many merits to the 7mm cal as there are with the.30 cal's.. I was, and have been a big fan like I said earlier of the 7x57mm.... myself shooting one for a few years while hunting Elk & Deer. I had a Win 70 feather weight to start with then a Rem M700 Classic both were superb, I personally was really big on the heavy bullets, up to my favorite the 175gr RN... they killed like a 60's Buick grill during grasshopper season. I see why O'Conner and W.D. M Bell liked the 7x57's... Bell'..., who liked the rimmed .275 Rigby version and both of them shot game all over the world with them. Of course the case spawn some great cartridges, 257 Robert, 6mm Rem, 6.5x57 and more; I believe'.., like the 8x57mm

So without getting to far off the story line (7-08).. I think today I'd jump all over the .284 Win again.. with today's 7mm bullets it would be hard to beat as a light weight rifle combo.. and as for a .30 cal.. how about the .30-284 Win I've seen some great LR scores with that one as well, a few friends I've shot with in Canada loved it.

Blwebster,
Something about shooting in the field with older cartridges and rifles.. stay with the 7x57mm and have fun.

Now days I take my 1942 Mod 94 .30-30 or my 1972 Mod 94 .44 Mag on 90% of my deer hunts, they never fail if I do my part.. the other 25 rifles in the safe I'm sure are quite jealous. You know it makes a guy kinda nostalgic; you feel like those hunts when we were younger, great memory brought back into the woods, setting around the camp fire and thinking about them over again.

Have fun, live life guys...:)
Cheer's

436, you have captured my own thoughts and feelings perfectly. Well stated.

Chandalar,if at all posable could you tells us more 708 abilities on alaskan game? thanks for chiming in,an CONGRAT'S on your Dall Ram!!!.

Blwebster,what speed where you pushing them 160 a-max's out of your 7x57 sounds like you have some tales 2 tell also,thanks for posting.

436 nicely said that 284 is one great round indeed you own one? and as for the 7 rsaum whats not to like pushing them pretty 7mm bullets.

info is key! talking sources make it so much more interesting lightbulb

regards jjmp
I used 47 grains of H4831 with the 162 grain Amax for everything since they first came out. (Am recently trying cfe223 with amax 155 and the 168 grainers in the .308 now.) Before that for shooting wolves, i used to use the 7x57 all the time at shorter ranges, under 350 yards, so tended to use the lighter Sierra or Hornady match or varmint bullets which were very frangible, i really liked the 120 grain hornady spitzer with 54 grains win 760 and Sierra spitzers with 44 grains of imr 4064 as well.

For big game like elk and moose, i used the 180 grain round nose for hunting areas where shots were going to be under200 yards. The further ranges used nosler 160gr partitions and 160 grain Speer spbt. Like i said though, i have used the amax 162 grain since as well as theround nose hdys

175 hornady loaded so it was dead on at 100 with the 162 amax shooting 3 inches high without having to touch the scope. For timber i just chambered the heavyonesand when inalpine/subalpine areas with longershots those 162 amax with carefully placedshots worked well.

Blwebster, thanks for the info get bac, you know its always interesting hereing about other reloaders loads, almost like tasteing another cooks cooking i'm sure you catch my drift.

never played with the 162 a maxs yet, but im hereing glowing reports, loaded some 162s not amax in my friends 7 mag and he did fine out west on Mulies and maybe Elk.

i know ive learned very much just reading on this Great forum , heck theirs Light Years

of Knowledge just waiteing to be Read and SEEN ....SO thank you all for posting and keeping it alive.

heres wishing Everyones hunting Dream come true, but untill that time we live thru other s that have Lived them and POSTED them HERE!!!!! cheers jjmp

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.