7mm-08 Bullet Choice for Stone Sheep inside of 500 yards

Which bullet for stone sheep hunt inside of 500 yards w/ 7mm-08?

• Barnes TTSX 120

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nosler Ballistic Tip 140

• Nosler Ballistic Tip 150

• Hornady ELDX 150

• Speer Hot Core 145

• Total voters
Between these, what would be your pick for shots 500 yards and in, out of a 7mm-08?

Assume all have equal accuracy out of the rifle
Out of your 7-08 l would pick one of the blistic tips 140 or 150. Which shoots best in your rifle. My nephew uses 140 barnes out of a 270 sm and gets sheep out to 550 yards. Lower volosity from yours at that range go with lighter built bullet.

Below is for the 140 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip @ 2647 fps MV, which is a fairly mild load for the 7mm-08. So at 500 yards you are still exceeding the manufacturers minimum velocity (of 1800 fps) for expansion by 129 fps, and actually are carrying 1800 all the way to 600. Over 300, what concerns me most is wind.
View attachment 479014

View attachment 479013

I really don't want to shoot past 300 if I can help it, but if conditions are right, and I feel confident in the shot, I want to have the option.
On sheep it can go from 50 yards to 700 for a good shot. Some times it's what the country/mountains will give you. In side 500 very doable . Good luck

Between these, what would be your pick for shots 500 yards and in, out of a 7mm-08?

140 Barnes TTSX. I have harvested several elk out to 600yds with excellent results. The key in my experience relates to the mass. Energy and stability the heavier bullet is capable of. A 120 maybe faster in most situations. However hunting in steep open mountain terrain you maybe shooting in odd angles from one position and firing a round across a windy descending ridge line at a ram 4-600 yds away. 140 all day long. Good luck. Shooting and practice for any wilderness hunt requires you over prepare! Suck it up and hunt to the day, lady hour and celebrate your time on the mountain. 100% Vietnam combat veteran USMC

it wouldn't be my first choice either, but the evidence out there is overwhelming that BT's are flat out killers, and I've used them myself many times. It's funny, you don't need accuracy or penetration with them, and they still kill, ask me how I know!
How do you know?
Ive seen bighorns with holes in them the size of a softball run away to the next mountain and have to be shot again
BT are not flat out killers on everything and in a wide variety of situations they are lacking
Saying you dont need accuracy on a sheep rifle is probably the dumbest thing ive ever heard

what ever shoots best at 500 yds , shot placement is everything !!
sheep are not hard to kill . Good shot placement is what matters.
practice , practice , practice . especially on windy day.
best of luck.

On lung shots in my experience that was not the case, yes it left two holes, but small holes in and out, and on lungs as well that caused a slow death, unlike the damage I get with softer bullets. Lungs destroyed and in some cases the animal drops where it's at.

Again, if you like shoulder shots, they might work better, but not on double lung shots. Maybe on elk, but not smaller game.
Ive never seen the accubonds ever act like they are made from a harder lead alloy
They just dont seperate so they have greater penetration
Lung shoots have been no different in my experience and anything and everything dropped where they stood
Holes in both lungs equals a dead animal
A big hole in one lung can sometimes lead to a long tracking job

Ive never seen the accubonds ever act like they are made from a harder lead alloy
They just dont seperate so they have greater penetration
Lung shoots have been no different in my experience and anything and everything dropped where they stood
Holes in both lungs equals a dead animal
A big hole in one lung can sometimes lead to a long tracking job

I think I might have not explained correctly, when I said two holes I meant an entry and an exit.

Again, this is my experience, and yes lung shots will kill the animal, but not fast enough for me.

Accubonds at magnum speeds maybe work better, but at slower speeds like the 7mm-08, it's not happening, unless you have a lot of resistance like maybe an elk.

I've found softer cup and core bullets to be more forgiving, than an accubond or mono.

I think I might have not explained correctly, when I said two holes I meant an entry and an exit.

Again, this is my experience, and yes lung shots will kill the animal, but not fast enough for me.

Accubonds at magnum speeds maybe work better, but at slower speeds like the 7mm-08, it's not happening, unless you have a lot of resistance like maybe an elk.

I've found softer cup and core bullets to be more forgiving, than an accubond or mono.
The LRAB, if you can find them is right there nicely in the middle. It's not cup and core, but it performs to a much lower velocity than the AB. Plus it has a better BC.

In a 7-08, the 150LRAB is hard to beat. They were my go to bullets before I stopped hunting with lead.

If you go with nosler's minimum of 1300fps, and a double base powder to get everything you can out of it, about 2850fps. That puts your maximum range over 1000 yards. Even if you go with a more conservative 1800fps, 700yards. If you're shooting that long of range, then you're probably not doing it with a typical sheep rifle.
I'd love to see someone take a typical 4.5-5lb sheep/goat rifle(any cambering) and make a cold bore shot on target at 700+. There's some people that can do it. They're not typical.

Last edited:
A real dall sheep is not the same as a tiny domestic animal shot behind a fence
You are absolutely right.
My buddy bought a ranch that had a few dall sheep on it and he said he didn't want them there so take them out if you see one.
So...while I was out scouting for Aoudad, this one came out from behind the rocks and all I had was my Grendel.

Without me knowing, he had his men skin it and mounted and sent it to me as a goofy sort of gift.

So, yeah... I actually put it up there for chitz and giggles and a good time.
That's why my comment read, my only sheep.

How do you know?
Ive seen bighorns with holes in them the size of a softball run away to the next mountain and have to be shot again
BT are not flat out killers on everything and in a wide variety of situations they are lacking
Saying you dont need accuracy on a sheep rifle is probably the dumbest thing ive ever heard
That's not what I said. Every bullet out there has multiple horror stories and supporters who swear by them. In every situation there are variables that nobody including the shooter is aware of, which is why so many shots defy explanation. We play the numbers game and "I" think the numbers support BT effectiveness. But like I said it wouldn't be my first choice.

On sheep it can go from 50 yards to 700 for a good shot. Some times it's what the country/mountains will give you. In side 500 very doable . Good luck
I actually shot a Dall at 15 yards once; they were lying just under the top of a ridge; we went up a draw downwind that hid us from their view, crossed over, then came from behind them on the other side of the ridge.

I have shot deer with 110g Accubonds out of a 25/06, they ran like a scalded cat, and hit well. Shot the same bullet out of a 257 Weatherby at 3600 fps with a short freebore, which put an end to the running.

Some bullets penetrate and expand just prior to exiting, which produces those dramatic exit wounds when they run off like nothing happened.

My Brother and I found that the long-range accubonds are the best of both worlds, quick expansion, and complete penetration. The key to these LRAB is to seat them very close to the lands in the weights we shoot, 129g, 142g, 175g. I have yet to shoot the 150g & 168g in 7mm, Sort them by ogive length, then work up loads with the bullet seated .003 off the lands, you will NEVER stick one in the barrel. IN our rifles, they shoot less than 3/8" groups, and I can not remember ever having to fire a second round unless I was shooting at a running animal, misjudging the leade.

The LRAB put a LOT of shock on an animal, amazingly so. Many fail to get the LRAB to shoot well due to magazine constraints.

Mark's description of the sheep running off with a large hole in it demonstrates the use of a bullet that is just too tough, penetration with expansion just prior to the exit.

Practice, practice. Place your shot or do not pull the trigger.

After killing two bulls, all I was interested in were Cows(meat). I used a 243 with 100g Partitions at 3000 fps, and never had a goat rope experience, As precision hits, trumps all.