700RUM, 300WIN, 300 RUM..Kick???

Elkslayer1

OK, I am happy with my 7MM shooting 162 amax out to 700 yards and it holds MOA pretty well. My daughter want's to use this gun this year.....good reason for another one!!

Question, I am considering a 700 RUM shooting only a 180 VLD, a 300 WIN or a 300 RUM both shooting 200 accubonds, 208 AMX or 210 VLDS.

With all these guns being sendero's and loaded up towards max...can you tell me how much "kick difference" there is?

I currently have a 300 WBY in a ultra-light with a break and it does not kick at all.

Can you also tell me what break you would put on these sendero's?

I am only wanting to shoot out to 1000 yards. The gun will be used for plinking targets, elk and deer in Idaho.

Which gun would you pick and why?

Thanks for your help!!

Last edited:
I would go with the 300 RUM the most out of 30 cal bullets you are mentioning and several people have had issues with bullet seating in the 7mm RUM and not reaching the desired potential. In the sendero line the recoil kick should not be bad due to the weight of the rifle.

Both are going to recoil alot more than your 7mm Rem mag 162gr but a good muzzle brake can tame them down alot to feel less than an unbraked 7mm Rem mag.
The 7mm RUM with the 180gr has a little less recoil than the 300 RUM and 208-210gr, the 300 RUM might be beter if your wonting to shoot large game and the 7mmRUM has slightly beter BC bullets on offer. Unfortunatly factory chamberings in these two cals suffer from having a long throat which can be a problem if your wonting to seat long for best accuracy.

Last edited:
For 1000 yard elk out of the choices you have listed id go 300 rum.

The 300 win is a great cartridge, and I'm sure somebody had whacked an elk at 1k, but if that were my goal from the ones on your list.

The 7 ultra is fun, I have shot an unbraked 7.5lbder but it was with 120s over 102g of retumbo. I may have been biased as that morning I had shot the 375 ruger a lot, but it well withing manageable to me.

In most rifles capable of 1k recoil would be easily managed with a brake and the weight associated with the rifle. I will say that the step up in recoil from a 162 a max in 7mm to a 200 grain accubond in a 308 is fairly substantial.

If you are serious about taking big game at extreme 1,000 yards or more, then shoot as much gun as you can handle and with that being the primary criteria, I would suggest the 300 RUM.

Otherwise, of the lot, my pick would be the 300 win mag. The 300 win mag can easily take elk at the longer ranges, recoil is manageable even without a muzzle break and if you don't handload, the selection of ammo over the counter is plentiful.

Last edited:
i have a 7mm mag and a 300 win mag both have vais brakes. awesome. the 210 bergers will get you there too

i use 68 gr. imr 4831 in my 300 winnie and recoild is quite sharp with 200 gr. ab's. now i tried 77gr. retumbo and recoild is a shove similiar to an 30-06, 270 etc. both have 200 gr. ab's i chose the retumbo cause its super clean and kids are gonna start shooting magnums. if ya really want a thumper i also have a rem. 700 bdl lh in a 338 rum. loaded with 92 gr. 7828 and a 225gr. ab. it will clear up congested lungs and what ever you want knocked loose on your body. but that load gets me to 1000 and a few moa on my scope.

300 winchester or 300 RUM. The 7mm RUM has great ballistics but will eat barrels alive. I had severe throat erosion with the first two 7mm-300 RUM's I did back in 98-99 or so and never did another. I think the 7mm RUM is the same thing but came out a few years later. The 300 necked to 7mm.

I didn't see where it was 1000 yard elk. Get the 300 RUM or get a 338 RUM. The 338 RUM with 225 cutting edge bullets has the best ballistics with a .64 bc at over 3250 fps.

Last edited:
I have a 7mm RUM in a sendero and it doesn't kick at all. No brake, no special recoil pad. I shoot Barnes 150 ttsx as hot as I could get them. I am getting .25 groups at 300. I also have a 338 RUM. I shoot 250 matchkings with simular results out to 300. No break, no special pad. Be very careful if you plan to plink with these guns. You can burn the throat out of these ultra mags in a very quick hurry. No matter which Ultra you pick, you will have no trouble shooting excellent groups with some work.

No question here, go with the 300RUM. When in doubt, go big! especially when you're talking about shooting at elk.

In terms of muzzle brakes, check Center Shot Rifles Center Shot Rifles (Pittsville, WI) They have several brakes that will work nicely for you. Their 'regular' brake is on my 300RUM. Felt recoil is about that of shooting light target loads in a shotgun. CSR's Muscle Brakes are nice too. If you have any questions, call them up, Jim See will be glad to advise you.

BTW...here's http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-300rum-mcr-70809/#post494570

lightbulb...OR! you could suck it up and take the recoil. I have shot both and ive shot both ALOT. If your used to shooting 12gauge slugs or 3.5" turkey loads then you will be fine. I shoot my shotgun more than any other weapon I have just to keep myself from getting recoil shy. Ive shot bear slugs (600 grains) and 2.5oz #4 shot. If you can stand up to those loads you should be fine. I have made it clear before, I HATE BREAKS, and find no use for them unless you plan to use this gun for OOOOONNNNNLLLLLLYYYY target shooting. If you plan on shooting elk with this, I dont find a reason to get a break. Im sorry if Im not apart of the majority on this one. But im strongly against muzzle breaks...(and silencers but ill save that for another post! lol) :D Good luck on your decision tho. If it were me, id go big and get the 300 RUM! Go big or go home.:cool:

It comes down to each could be best for a particular purpose. I have both a
300 Win Mag and a 7RUM and have taken elk with both. Some day may build a 300RUM expressly for long range elk but think it would be gross overkill for deer and goats. Would never, ever consider it a plinking gun.
As you are saying 180 vld loads means that you will be loading your own so factory ammo availablity is a non-issue.
For hunting deer, antelope, and elk and want a 1000 yd reach I would choose my 7RUM.
With a break then recoil is a non-issue. If I did not want to use a break I'd go with plain old 7Mag. Check the ballistics and see that the higher BC will give more wack at long range than the 30cal and it has less recoil. Thats my 2C.:)

Doublezranch

I would like to ask you, if it's ok, what is your coal? And if you don't mind, can I ask what your load recipe is for that 7rum? My 7rum has a long throat, 4.00" with the 160 AB. Do you load out as far as you can get to the lands and use as a single shot or just to fit the magazine?

Thanks for any help

meatyrem

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.