Good white tail distance

• under 700 yards

Votes: 16 40.0%
  • 700-1000 yards

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • 1000 +

Votes: 6 15.0%

• Total voters
Why?? Cuz its a,berger or cuz of the weight.
Mostly weight, but it should expand for you at 850yds. I voted +1000 because I didn't read your info first. If you want to take advantage of the boiler room in that case, up your game and start pushing the 215 or 230 Berger. Then there will be no doubt it will be a fine "Whitetail" cartridge past 1000yds. JMHO!:rolleyes: Crunch the numbers with the 230 Berger, BC and a velocity of 2700fps.

Tank

Mostly weight, but it should expand for you at 850yds. I voted +1000 because I didn't read your info first. If you want to take advantage of the boiler room in that case, up your game and start pushing the 215 or 230 Berger. Then there will be no doubt it will be a fine "Whitetail" cartridge past 1000yds. JMHO!:rolleyes: Crunch the numbers with the 230 Berger, BC and a velocity of 2700fps.

Tank

Plus one! I think your twist is the limiting factor for distance. With a 10 twist barrel and a 210, 215 or 230 gr Berger it will be a great rifle to 1000 even on elk. 1200 for deer in good conditions. The 300 win with 210's has proven to be a great rifle for me. The Berger VLD for long range is a great choice and they have all expanded and quickly killed even large bulls at 800 to 1000. Accuracy, high BC and expansion. What more could you ask from a LR hunting bullet?

Jeff

Okay.... correction #2! Since I was lazy and didn't read the part about the 14 twist. So.... with the speed your cartridge can push the lighter for caliber pills, you may want to try shooting some of the 175 Berger's (rated for a 13 twist) and the Nosler 168 Ballistic Tips. The 168 and the 175's have a much better BC than the 155.

Tank

I think if you can stabilize the 178 grain A-Max it would be almost perfect. If not, then 168 grain A-Max.
After playing with the ballistics calculator if you can push the 178 grain A-Max 3000+ you will be able to stabilize them. You should be able to get around 3100 I would think.

Just got her over chrono. 3450fps better than i hoped.
when i rebarrel its going to be done with my wsm reamer. I'm shooting 210's in that gun at 2808fps
lost of good info thanks all keep it coming.

Just ran it on my chart
1000 yards - 1590fps and 870ftlbs

Now to be honest I would push it to that kind of distance unless the conditions were next to perfect.

My 300WSM with 210VLD's @ 2808
1000 yards - 1590fps and 1179ftlbs

same speed on both but the 210 is definatly has the power.

And what about drift? That is where the heavy higher BC bullet will shine to keep you in the kill zone. I think you have just proven once again velocity is nice, but not always best.

Jeff
Oh I agree 1000% the 210's have 35% better wind bucking ability. If this was my build from the beginning I would have done a 10 twist and probably the WSM instead of the win mag. but this puppy is shooting good so I am gonna shoot it for now.

Just finished up an old black barreled Sendero in 300 win. 26" 1 in 10 twist factory tube. Bedded into the HS stock, I did a trigger tune to 2 1/2 lbs and had a JP brake installed. NF 40 moa rail. 5.5x22x56 NP-R1 ZS NXS in NF rings. Loaded 73 gr of H-1000 and a CCI 250 primer in RWS brass and a 230 Berger OTM with .719 BC.

MV is 2785 fps across the Oehler 35. ES was about 10 fps. Last group was .437" at 100. loaded the data into my old NF program and sent 3 into about 5 or 6" on a 1 moa rock at 905 yards.

Impact velocity was 1903 fps and 1849 ft lbs of energy at 905 yards.

Not bad for an old factory rifle. Not bad at all. And the recoil is nothing never lost sight of the rock even for a second.

Jeff

Got back from Holiday. Couldn't keep wifey up another night participating on this forum with my phone. She is very patient with my shooting, but has her limits. (big grin here) I don't have anything to add to what has already been said, except I have tried to push bullets with a slightly higher BC toward the ranges you asked about. I found that with no wind they were pretty good out around 700, but when the wind picked up they were blown around just too much.
Shooting 180 gr Bergers through my 7 Rem Mag, BC .659, is another animal. These cut the wind far, far better.

I just finished up my hunting gun for the year. 300 win mag with 155 berger hunting VLD's I believe the load is right around 3300fps can't verify that til my new chrono shows up (other one broke dropped it on ground and it went crazy). my question is what do you all think is a good maximum for white tail deer with that info. I am thinking 1200, but would like some imput from others.
If you can keep it sub MOA then 1000+ should be very doable.

Will it kill a deer at 1k yes, is it ideal no. If its a paid hunt leave it home. If you are hunting deer in your area one thing to take into consederation is the set up. If you will be able to stay on the deer and watch it if it runs that is a huge +. If you are shooting a small field surrounded by wood its a different story. With that being said Ive killed severl deer with a 6br at 800 some went down within 50-70 yards one made it to the corn and that makes for a long night. On the other hand I've never hit a deer too hard with a 338

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.