7 WSM build

noneck180

I am ordering a Surgeon WSM action for 7mm wsm build..is there anything I should know before I build a 7mm wsm on a short action? I am not sure if there is particular bottom metal that will allow me to seat my bullets out further, better with feeding. I am going to be taking my next custom up north with me for a Moose hunt..so I want it reliable.I was going to go with my tried and true 7mm Rem mag..but I have an A-5 stock I really want to use for this build..in a SA.
If anyone has loads for the 7mm wsm I would appreciate that as well..I am thinking 168 Bergers, 150 Swift sciroccos, 140 Tipped TSX, most of the Hornady bullets as I have all these already in good quantity.
I really hate these second thoughts..lol

Also any other suggestions would be appreciated...

I had a model 70 in 7WSM that I bought super cheap and then turned around and sent it off to be completely redone. I am shooting the 168gr Bergers touching the lands and my COL is 3.080"....just barely enough to make it a repeater. HS Stock/Seekins bottom metal/26" brux barrel. Have only shot a couple of rounds out of it (waiting on my scope before load development), but did not have any problems with those 15 rounds.

You are better off getting a long action to take advantage of those long VLDs avaiable in 7mm. Especially in a repeater form.

I was going that route then my plans changed to only using 168 Bergers and shorter. If I go with a SA I can swap bolts and barrels to many different chamberings aswell. So I am pretty sure I will be okay..if was going LA..I would go Rem mag , STW , etc. Which is still not totally disregarded as an option.

Who will be your bbl maker ? What length and contour ? Will 7mm be enough for Moose,would you want some thing bigger like a 300 wsm ?

Kreiger, Rem varmint modified .830 muzzle, 27" finished, 1- 8.5 twist Badger brake, Jewel trigger, Mcmillan A-5 stock.
I don't need bigger then .284 for a moose..I am still thinking of using my 6.5x55 if I can't get this rifle built in time.

Kreiger, Rem varmint modified .830 muzzle, 27" finished, 1- 8.5 twist Badger brake, Jewel trigger, Mcmillan A-5 stock.
I don't need bigger then .284 for a moose..I am still thinking of using my 6.5x55 if I can't get this rifle built in time.[/QUOT

I received my Brux bbl in 8 weeks from order date.

I already have the barrel..I am in Canada..I have never heard of Brux barrels till just lately..so getting one is not really important or possible.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.