New build 7mm WSM

First of all, I hope you have a brass source...its hard to find:) I think the 7 wsm is a great round. I'm shooting a 7 wsm with 168 Bergers at 3160 with a 25" Brux 8" twist. I've played with the 180's with H1000, MagPro and MRP. Didn't shoot as well so I stuck with the 168's. I think its an awesome cartridge, just worried about long term brass availability.....

I am wanting to do a custom build 7 MM WSM to shoot the 180 grain bullets. I am looking for suggestions as I know the longer bullets are going to encroach on powder capacity.

Easiest solution in a custom rifle may be to just chamber in 7-300WSM. This will allow you to use readily available 300WSM brass and too simply neck it down.

Why Norma or Lapua hasn't jumped on the bandwagon by filling the 7WSM brass void, I don't know.

I have a custom 7 WSM with a 25" Brux barrel as well. Really love the setup, but my 200 pieces of Win brass are getting really tired. I have invested quite a bit of time prepping that brass over the years. If I get desperate enough, I may try buying some Federal factory ammo and using that brass. No experience with Federal brass, but from what I have heard, it tends to run heavy and is soft, which will probably be a bad combination in my rifle.

I second the wish that Lapua would start making this caliber.

You might want to check out the thread "7mm Sherman Shortmag vs 7 SAUM" if you would consider a wildcat. I am getting over 3000' with accuracy with the 180's in a case that is less than 2" long......Rich

Beartracks do you have any suggestions on anything you would do different? I can find reamers for the 7mm-300 WSM. I have been tossing that idea around as well.

My gun was chambered for 168 Bergers, but seems to shoot the A-max and 160 Abonds very well too. I have switched to the Abond for a little tougher bullet for elk, and really like it. However, I always intended to shoot something in the 160-168 weight class and have never even tried a 180 grainer.

Given the problems with brass, the 7mm-300WSM sounds like an appealing option.

I should mention that my rifle is built on an FN SPR and the magazine length is relatively forgiving for COAL. I'm running the 160 AB about .010" off the lands, and the COAL is 2.980" with plenty of room in the magazine. The bullet still drops a fair distance below the neck FWIW. You might consider your magazine depth vs. 180 grain seating depth.

Last edited:
Hello, my custom 7wsm was just finished about 2 months ago. I have a 24" Krieger barrel with 1-9 twist. I'm shooting the 168 Berger's at 2950. I'm also jumping the VLD bullets .130, because that's where they shoot the best in my rifle. I have enough room in my mag well to jam them into the lands but they just aren't as accurate there.

I had my rifle built on a Stiller Tac 300, which is a long action, so that I would have plenty of room to jam into the lands if that's what I wanted.

About the availability of brass. From time to time, I find a new bag of winchester brass for sale on gunbroker.com. Expect to pay around $100 for a bag of 50 including shipping. I have 3 bags of new brass waiting for my 150 rounds I'm using now to wear out. I'm on my third reload now and thinking about annealing them.

Best of wishes on your build.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.