7 PRC SAAMI approved

Long action? If so I knew it would happen once I started on a 7 saum. Guess I have an excuse for the next build lol
I don't normally do this I tend to jump on the bandwagon and try **** because why not but I love my 7 Weatherby Way too much and I'm not playing around with any of these dumb cartridges sorry

Last edited:
This has devolved. I'll catch back up when the SAAMI drawings are up and the middle schoolers are back in school.
B629F710-CB91-443E-A71D-CA0970DECD66.gif

I got a bunch of 375 Ruger brass early on and necked the cases down in all diameters from 6mm to 366 , decided that the Ruger case lacked the capacity I was looking for since it fell far short of the 300 RUM case and didn't exceed the long belted mag case & abandoned it ... There were a handful of other guys messing with the Ruger case in 6.5mm, 270, 7mm, 30 cal & 338, there were a lot of wild claims but none of them were able to produce anything impressive without action testing pressures

Later on the 338 Norma Mag appeared and I found the magic in the improved case format, a far, far, far superior case design vs the Ruger/PRC, that much is undeniable, even the Nosler case design is much better,

Guys keep on bringing up barrel life .... Did y'all know that if you throttle the RUM, NM and Nosler cartridges down to PRC levels then barrel life is the same with far less pressures & near eternal brass life while the 300 PRC guys are popping primers at 70+ k psi trying to prove that it's faster than the 300 Win Mag, as fast as the 30 Nosler and "only" 200 fps slower than the RUM , lol

It's quite hilarious watching the comedy of the PRC mania from the sidelines ..... it defies logic, but funny stuff anyway

there's guys posting up 50 pcs of PRC brass for $400 and more on Gunbroker..... AND it's selling !!!!!!! C'mon man, what's wrong with y'all ?
I agree with all of this Alaskan. After all I'm a rum fanatic and run them at "action testing pressures ". But….let me add how the 300 prc filled a void for me.
The 212 eldx and 225eldm of the shelf box ammo shoot good enough and are cheap enough that I'll never reload for the 2 prc's I have. Bought a few cases pre rona for 38$ a box. Currently my LGS has them at 55$.
Both rifles (bergara and fierce) shoot as good as MOST custom rifles I've had dealings with that bought ammo. It's pretty nice to lay down and shoot 3/8 and 1/2 moa groups with a somewhat inexpensive gun and somewhat inexpensive ammo especially when time has become such a valuable commodity.

Yes but I'm comparing the rem mag to the new whiz bang 7 whatever it is…. Don't think the juice is worth the squeeze
For most folks I don't think it would be worth the expense of changing from the 7RM over to the 7PRC.

If you're starting out new today though the 7RPC would make a whole lot of sense over the 7RM because of future scarcity of ammo and brass with the 7RM where the PRC's are pretty much the future of where things are heading in this century case and overall popularity wise.

6.5 creed was based on the 30TC

Would a 7 rem mag throated for heavies and the right barrel twist be the better - cheaper option?
I have a 7mm rem mag long throated built on a weatherby mark v action and that thing does amazing things with the heavies. I'm getting 3100fps with the 180 ELDM 2.5" @550yds. 180 Bergers don't like to be pushed that hard, but hey still group sub MOA @550 launched @3050 fps

I have a 7mm rem mag long throated built on a weatherby mark v action and that thing does amazing things with the heavies. I'm getting 3100fps with the 180 ELDM 2.5" @550yds. 180 Bergers don't like to be pushed that hard, but hey still group sub MOA @550 launched @3050 fps
You'd have to be running so far beyond book pressures with that load to achieve such velocity as to be rather concerning to say the least.

You'd have to be running so far beyond book pressures with that load to achieve such velocity as to be rather concerning to say the least.
I'm using 72.5gr of Retumbo. @3.430" COAL in a 26" tube
Non compressed charge, no ejector marks, no loose primer pockets to date (6-7 reloads), no sticky bolt. In the end, nothing indicating high pressure

Recent Posts