7 PRC SAAMI approved

The salt is very real in this thread.

To try to turn this ship around, who that is interested in the new PRC, wants to start giving specs on how they will put together there rifle?

I for one, will be selling my 6.5 PRC and CM stuff very shortly to get prepped for this new 7mm.
I already shoot a 6.5LRM, I know the 7LRM is a very good cartridge but doesnt' exceed the 7mm STW velocity wise although it's till an improvment on the 7RM and 280/284's.

They lost a lot of potential case capacity by lengthening the neck but keeping the COAL that same as the .375 Ruger and changing the shoulder angle.

I may prove to be completely wrong on this but my version of the 7PRC is just going to take a 300PRC and neck it down to 7mm. That should give us performance between the STW and RUM.

I'm eagerly awaiting SAAMI or Hornady to publish the case dimensions so I can figure out which way to go.

I already shoot a 6.5LRM, I know the 7LRM is a very good cartridge but doesnt' exceed the 7mm STW velocity wise although it's till an improvment on the 7RM and 280/284's.

They lost a lot of potential case capacity by lengthening the neck but keeping the COAL that same as the .375 Ruger and changing the shoulder angle.

I may prove to be completely wrong on this but my version of the 7PRC is just going to take a 300PRC and neck it down to 7mm. That should give us performance between the STW and RUM.

I'm eagerly awaiting SAAMI or Hornady to publish the case dimensions so I can figure out which way to go.
I'm certainly not saying there aren't better cartridges out there or they could have done X but went Y but this all makes perfect sense. They worked with gunwerks originally on the LRM, they had issues but resolved it, it seems and gunwerks has a public following for long range hunting. Sure, there is probably another case design that does better or is shorter or what ever. But for people, like myself, that love the 7RM(I use it to hunt in Alaska where all my friends only carry .300 and .338s), it's awesome that I can now get the chance to get something "new and shiny" and use the latest heavy 7mms. Plus I can't afford gunwerks name so this makes it accessible to me.

Don't get me wrong, there are certainly nothing new here, no revolutionary design or weight, just good marketing and taking a product that is loved(7 RM) and throwing weight behind it, literally with the 190s.

The salt is very real in this thread.

To try to turn this ship around, who that is interested in the new PRC, wants to start giving specs on how they will put together there rifle?

I for one, will be selling my 6.5 PRC and CM stuff very shortly to get prepped for this new 7mm.
Defiance custom Ruckus LA GA Hunter (optimized for weight), 20-22" 1:7.5 or 1:8 twist Bartlein 400MODBB #13 CF barrel, MDT HNT26 LA until Manners releases the CF mini chassis later this year or next, then I might consider the LRH, TBAC suppressor as usual, converted to Area419 mounts, Bix'n'Andy Tacsport pro 2 stage w/ 90 degree shoe.

It'll be just like every other bolt action rifle I have that I hike with, but with a faster twist.

I'm certainly not saying there aren't better cartridges out there or they could have done X but went Y but this all makes perfect sense. They worked with gunwerks originally on the LRM, they had issues but resolved it, it seems and gunwerks has a public following for long range hunting. Sure, there is probably another case design that does better or is shorter or what ever. But for people, like myself, that love the 7RM(I use it to hunt in Alaska where all my friends only carry .300 and .338s), it's awesome that I can now get the chance to get something "new and shiny" and use the latest heavy 7mms. Plus I can't afford gunwerks name so this makes it accessible to me.

Don't get me wrong, there are certainly nothing new here, no revolutionary design or weight, just good marketing and taking a product that is loved(7 RM) and throwing weight behind it, literally with the 190s.
Everything in engineering is a tradeoff. A longer neck means less throat erosion, more flexibility in bullet seating depth, better ability to chase lands, etc. Capacity and more powder isn't free, either. I don't want a 800 round cartridge like a 28 Nosler, personally; this hits a sweet spot for me, especially on 400MODBB steel. I also don't want my shoulder to be black and blue every time I go lay down 50-100 rounds at the mile range on a weekend. My rifles aren't just used for three shots a quarter; I practice heavily.

Everything in engineering is a tradeoff. A longer neck means less throat erosion, more flexibility in bullet seating depth, better ability to chase lands, etc. Capacity and more powder isn't free, either. I don't want a 800 round cartridge like a 28 Nosler, personally; this hits a sweet spot for me, especially on 400MODBB steel. I also don't want my shoulder to be black and blue every time I go lay down 50-100 rounds at the mile range on a weekend. My rifles aren't just used for three shots a quarter; I practice heavily.
100% with you! I'm in the same exact boat and thinking. Your build sounds awesome btw!

Listening to recent gunwerks podcast today and the owner said "our 7 LRM, soon to be the 7 PRC"
im still looking for aarons podcast that he says what you reported? any link or podcast episode would be great to help locate it. - i fell asleep listening to one last night and never found it. 😊 -

the one i was listening to might have been a great podcast!! ill have to save it and relisten whenever sleep isnt coming quickly. 😆😆

I think a lot of people would have liked to have seen a 7PRC that mirrored a 6.5 prc. Something efficient that can be run in a medium action and excels in a short barrel suppressed rifle. How is this different than a 28 nosler?
That's cool we all want something in our wheelhouse.
I would point out though that if one wants an efficient short barreled rifle to run suppressed and doesn't care about speed the 284 Win at 66.5 grains capacity with Lapua brass has that covered. The PRC case is only 68 grains, and the saum is 74, aaand let's not forget the 280ai at 73, or the 280 at 68.
I think we have 7mms in that capacity range super duper covered.
My point is there's really no good 7mm option between the 7RM with all its flaws, and the 28 Nos with its super short barrel life.
I think a 7-300 prc at 95 ish grains capacity would pretty easily have a 1000 round barrel life with something like H1000, and still put up really good velocity with heavies
the 7 LRM case is shorter than the 375 Ruger and 300 PRC, and has way too long of a neck for a 7mm

2.514" vs 2.580"

It would be a huge mistake if Hornady goes with the LRM design over simply necking down the 300 PRC

Yuge mistake
Totally agree
Moving the shoulder back and reducing the capacity is dumb.
Also the long neck stuff makes no sense, there's zero benefit of a neck length greater than .300.
And I may be wrong, but I'm unaware of any scientific data that proves throat erosion is greater with even really short necks.

necks longer than bullet diameter of cartridge are pointless and don't do squat for enhancing barrel life, it's a selling point to the gullible, always has been and always will be , burning 80 gr of powder in 7mm with a .500" long neck vs a .284" neck will toast the throat at the same rate, same blowtorch .....

im still looking for aarons podcast that he says what you reported? any link or podcast episode would be great to help locate it. - i fell asleep listening to one last night and never found it. 😊 -

the one i was listening to might have been a great podcast!! ill have to save it and relisten whenever sleep isnt coming quickly. 😆😆
3305F298-FFCD-4FD5-A66D-3D95E629690C.png

In this episode he casually mentions it towards the end. Not a full blown conversation about it at all.