6mm Creed or .243???

With the 243 the bullet needs to kiss the lands to shoot well.

My old .243 rifle didn't get that memo!

100 yard round robin seating depth test.

300 yard group.

However, to answer the OP's question, I'd go with the 6mm Creedmoor if buying a factory rifle. The CM is just a lot more flexible and can use the greatest variety of bullets in the 6mm caliber.

Very interesting discussion. I agree it comes down to twist rate. Can't speak to the 6mm Creedmoor but will always sing the praises of the .243. This round has delivered more DRTs on whitetail for me in the past 22 years than anything I've ever hunted with.

That said, just like the 25 Sherman "upgrade" on the .25-06, the 6mm Creedmoor has me intrigued.

Further, Your bergers might work very well with an ideal presentation. Broadside at reasonable range and you slip one in behind the shoulder. What about a big buck chasing a doe and quartering away and needs to get through the paunch? Or quartering to you and you need to drive it through the shoulder? Good luck with your bergers
I have busted through a lot of shoulder bones with bergers. They will get the job done, doesnt matter if they are quartering to or away.
I'm on the fence here, about to pull the trigger (pun intended) on a .243 but making sure I'm not going to wish I had looked into 6mm CM! Pros / Cons between the two mentioned would be appreciated..
I have both and both are factory rifles. My creed shoots heavier bullets since it has a faster twist barrel, I shoot it a lot more now. If you are building one or can find a 243 with a 1:8 twist barrel, flip a coin.

Ducky that is a full custom by the looks of it and unless you told otherwise whoever put it together for you used a parralel throat I am sure. Had to. A funnel throat is a 1 1/2 to 2 degree taper right off the end of the neck. It can be very accurate but the bullet needs to be very close to it for bullet alignment. Jump a bullet with a funnel throat and it is like a basketball bouncing back and forth in the rim before settling down and dropping to the net.

Ducky that is a full custom by the looks of it and unless you told otherwise whoever put it together for you used a parralel throat I am sure. Had to. A funnel throat is a 1 1/2 to 2 degree taper right off the end of the neck. It can be very accurate but the bullet needs to be very close to it for bullet alignment. Jump a bullet with a funnel throat and it is like a basketball bouncing back and forth in the rim before settling down and dropping to the net.

I hate to burst your bubble but it was just a SAAMI spec chamber, and the rifle was assembled by your's truly back in 2007. I did ask for a special throat but McGowen told me at that time I just got the standard .243 Win reamer.

Stevens 200 CF action
Savage Pre-Fit .243 Win 26" Heavy Varmint McGowen 1:7 twist
Stockade tactical bolt handle, recoil lug, and lift kit
SSS Competition trigger
EGW 20 MOA base
Warne rings
Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50 PA
HS Precision stock and Savage bottom metal with detachable mag

In your defense I never tried seating to kiss the lands and it may of shot better there, I wanted to use the magazine. I just ran Berger's seating depth test per their instructions and I tried it with the DTAC bullets to see if it would work as well. Both the 105 and 115 Berger's and the 115 DTAC shot better with a lot of jump. Your experience may differ, but every rifle is different and you have to find what works.

Last edited:
If factory ammo is a concern for the 6mm Creedmoor, I'd like to point out that Berger offers a terrific option for those looking for an accurate target load. Berger loads their 105gr Hybrid target bullet in Lapua cases and Grafs has them listed for $28.49/box when you buy 3 or more boxes. Though at the moment they are out of stock, just have to keep an eye on when they get some more.

I was at a match where 2 guys were shooting this ammo and they did very well with it. One of them came in second. And with the fact that you end up with once fired Lapua brass it's almost a no brainer. I'm seriously considering putting my 6mm Creedmoor reloads on hold and switching to Berger factory ammo.

6mm Creedmoor has a better case design and more suited for competition use. If you're a hand loader, I would go with the 6mm creedmoor. If you use factory ammo, stick with the 243. I have both and there's not much difference honestly. Especially for hunting. The nod is slightly to the Creedmoor IMO for competition and target shooting.

If the parallel throat is the secret to the accuracy of the Creeds, then why not change the specs on the chamber reamers of other cartridges?

Haven't looked recently at SAAMI but I think a 243 Win may have a parallel throat as designed....

If the parallel throat is the secret to the accuracy of the Creeds, then why not change the specs on the chamber reamers of other cartridges?

I don't think it is, and I don't believe any bore has a true parallel throat. Dan Lilja has some thoughts on that one. The Creedmoor cartridges might use a shallow throat angle but I don't think they are truly parallel.

243. Remington makes a 1-9.25" twist in the model 7 and Ruger makes the #1B with a 1-9 twist. Both stabilize 105 gr Amax at 900 FSL (I know discontinued bullet but I haven't ran out yet) these groups were shot with factory ammo in factory guns. The blue tape is covering 25-06 rounds that I fired at the same target.

4BD97CE7-94E0-45BD-9919-AB21B34C933A.png
F69BC628-9483-42C6-B652-F0C62F211717.png

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.