6mm Creed or .243???

Havard

I'm on the fence here, about to pull the trigger (pun intended) on a .243 but making sure I'm not going to wish I had looked into 6mm CM! Pros / Cons between the two mentioned would be appreciated..

Last edited:
Do as you wish but I am not a fan of target bullets on game. A 6mm is in my mind a marginal killer of deer. I grew up with a 25-06. With 115 to 120 gr bullets it is at a different level than a 243. If it were me I would take the creedmoor with a 95 or 100 grain nosler partition.

I've got a 243 that loves the Berger 95 gr. VLDs, but I haven't tried the Classics. The VLDs work very well on both deer and coyotes out to 400 yds. That's as far as I've killed with it but haven't had the chance to use it any farther.
I also have a 6 CM, and like you say, it is a 1 in 8 twist. It likes the heavier 105 gr. Berger Hybrids. Ballistics wise, there's not a lot of difference between the 243 and 6 CM. Both are great calibers

Last edited:
I've got a 243 that lives the Berger 95 gr. VLDs, but I haven't tried the Classics. The VLDs work very well on both deer and coyotes out to 400 yds. That's as far as I've killed with it but haven't had the chance to use it any farther.
I also have a 6 CM, and like you say, it is a 1 in 8 twist. It likes the heavier 105 gr. Berger Hybrids. Ballistics wise, there's not a lot of difference between the 243 and 6 CM. Both are great calibers
thank you sir; we are thinking along the same lines here...

To explain it better go to you tube. Randy,s custom rifles. He has an excellent video explaining bullet performance on big game. He has a ton of experience and explains it very well. Target bullets blow at high velocity and sometimes the nose folds over when lower velocity. This gun business amazes me. Monkey see monkey do. Take a good lead core bullet constructed properly and it always works

Further, Your bergers might work very well with an ideal presentation. Broadside at reasonable range and you slip one in behind the shoulder. What about a big buck chasing a doe and quartering away and needs to get through the paunch? Or quartering to you and you need to drive it through the shoulder? Good luck with your bergers

My brother found out the hard way when I had gifted him some mil surplus ammo in .308 fmj. He decided to use it and had to track a deer for hours before he found it. I told him that just cause the military used it does not mean its good for deer. I only use Core-lokts.

Last edited:
Original post edited for clarification; didn't mean to offend anyone on account of personal preference in bullet selection! Thanks

I did not mean to offend anyone. The 243 has a gentle shoulder and a funnel no throat design. Burns the throat quickly. The creedmoor has a sharper shoulder and a parralel throat. More speed and more velocity. With the 243 the bullet needs to kiss the lands to shoot well. A parralel throat is much more forgiving in seating depth and sometimes like a lot of jump depending on the bullet. If I had to shoot a 6 on game I would choose the creedmoor but there are much better tools for the job.

I did not mean to offend anyone. The 243 has a gentle shoulder and a funnel no throat design. Burns the throat quickly. The creedmoor has a sharper shoulder and a parralel throat. More speed and more velocity. With the 243 the bullet needs to kiss the lands to shoot well. A parralel throat is much more forgiving in seating depth and sometimes like a lot of jump depending on the bullet. If I had to shoot a 6 on game I would choose the creedmoor but there are much better tools for the job.
thanks for that; I have read a lot on the Creedmoor shoulder design and concept. This is why I was considering the 6mm.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.