6mm Creed or .243???

I am not telling you guys anything new but neck clearance and throat design are critical. Think of accuracy as a long range target. Circles within circles. The reason Remington and savage actions are so accurate is they are a round tube. Same all the way around. Then make sure everything is square and true. Then the barrel everything on center. Then I like .002 clearance on the neck. Think about it. When it goes off a neck with minimal clearance holds the bullet centered into the throat so it cannot yaw and hit the lands crooked. If you have a high quality barrel it will be accurate. I guarantee it.

Mr Emerson thank you for your reply. There's a lot of info in there. I appreciate the fact that you took time to try and help someone understand a new term that I hadn't seen before. Whether or not others understand it or appreciate it is irrelevant. I asked the question you took the time to explain,, for that,,, Thanks. Now let me read it again

Parralel is the freebore section. A funnel throat has no freebore

I had to go to work last night, and that's why I didn't get to this until now. I was hoping someone else would come and sort out the confusion. I must say Lilja's math on throat tapers was an easier read when skimming over it than your posts @David Emerson.

Now that I've had a chance to read everything and digest, we're having a terminology issue here. To me there is no such thing as a parallel throat, a throat to me is always where the chamber tapers or "funnels" to meet the rifling of the barrel. That's why I was having such a difficult time understanding what you were talking about. Freebore or Lead is what I've always referred to your term parallel throat. I also didn't want to assume what you were talking about.

So yes you are correct a SAAMI spec reamer print shows no freebore/lead for the .243 Win, but I've never had an issue in the several .243 Win rifles I've owned finding an accurate enough load for hunting and varmints. However, I never built a rifle nor have I hand loaded my ammunition with the goal of shooting a caliber sized 5-10 shot group before that rifle. I never got much better than .5 MOA on a consistent basis, but I blame that on my trigger pulling skills and not the cartridge I chose.

I built the Stevens 200 pictured above for a local steel shoot, and what that rifle did make me do is pay attention to my reloading process. I bought a few specialized tools (mainly dies and measuring tools), and did more case prep than ever before. What I found out is I manufactured ammunition that was extremely uniform with very little run out and velocities had a very low ES and SD. This I attribute that process to the accuracy of that rifle more than how chamber/throat was designed.

So in the end I feel I made up for the .243's shortcomings by focusing on a different aspect of the process. If you work with what you have, you can usually make it work very well. I don't disagree with you in any way that the 6 Creedmoor is a more advanced/efficient round. So my take is if buying a factory rifle to shoot long range is your goal, buy a 6 Creedmoor for versatility. If building a custom rifle and loading your own ammunition it makes very little difference, build what you want.

I had to go to work last night, and that's why I didn't get to this until now. I was hoping someone else would come and sort out the confusion. I must say Lilja's math on throat tapers was an easier read when skimming over it than your posts @David Emerson.

Now that I've had a chance to read everything and digest, we're having a terminology issue here. To me there is no such thing as a parallel throat, a throat to me is always where the chamber tapers or "funnels" to meet the rifling of the barrel. That's why I was having such a difficult time understanding what you were talking about. Freebore or Lead is what I've always referred to your term parallel throat. I also didn't want to assume what you were talking about.

So yes you are correct a SAAMI spec reamer print shows no freebore/lead for the .243 Win, but I've never had an issue in the several .243 Win rifles I've owned finding an accurate enough load for hunting and varmints. However, I never built a rifle nor have I hand loaded my ammunition with the goal of shooting a caliber sized 5-10 shot group before that rifle. I never got much better than .5 MOA on a consistent basis, but I blame that on my trigger pulling skills and not the cartridge I chose.

I built the Stevens 200 pictured above for a local steel shoot, and what that rifle did make me do is pay attention to my reloading process. I bought a few specialized tools (mainly dies and measuring tools), and did more case prep than ever before. What I found out is I manufactured ammunition that was extremely uniform with very little run out and velocities had a very low ES and SD. This I attribute that process to the accuracy of that rifle more than how chamber/throat was designed.

So in the end I feel I made up for the .243's shortcomings by focusing on a different aspect of the process. If you work with what you have, you can usually make it work very well. I don't disagree with you in any way that the 6 Creedmoor is a more advanced/efficient round. So my take is if buying a factory rifle to shoot long range is your goal, buy a 6 Creedmoor for versatility. If building a custom rifle and loading your own ammunition it makes very little difference, build what you want.
I hope I helped. Maybe I am in the stone age but for a throat like your 243 has I just start long and smoke a bullet. Keep seating a little deeper until the lands are not on the bullet and I am there. Works for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.