60gr 25-06 bullets

barreledaction

got a lot of yotes where I hunt and just saw an ad for 60gr bullets. Anyone got

an opinion on these? What am I saying... you guys? I use 120's for deer -

don't have a recipe for 60's.. Anyone?

I've never heard of a 60 grain 25 cal. It might be something as about as stupid as the old 100 or 110 grain sabot rounds for 30-06.

I can tell you as eye whitness to Max Carniage on varmints using 87 gr. Speer TNT's in front of 60.8 grains of H-4831 with chrono speed of @3600 fps out of 26 inch 25-06.

It blows up animals almost as good as my .277 100 grain SP's going @3600 fps

I wouldnt waste your time with 25 cal 60 grainers. If speed is what you are after go for the 75 grain vmax or the 85 grain nosler BT. With w760 you should be able to get 3750fps with the 75s and with r19 you should be able to get 3600 with the 85s. Awesome coyote medicine either way.

if you want speed go with the 75 gr v max. i don't have my load notes in front of me, but imr 4831 and the v max i pushing 4000 fps. was unreal for yotes.

I think the 60g version your looking at is the 25 ACP bullet, which is NOT intended for a 25-06. If your looking for speed, go with the 75g vmax at 3800 and dont look back. It will make squirrels and rabbits **** near vaporize out to 300 yards, and will be a super duper yote thumper. Its just a little hard on barrels /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hornady designed that bullet for rifles such as the 25-20 and similer tube fed lever action cartriges with not much velocity. Using them in your 25-06 with any load close to full power will probably cause the bullet to desintigrate in the air, if that don't happen whatever it hits is going to be transformed into dust particles:)
The 75gr Hornady HP along with the 87 speer TNT have always been proven varmint performers in my 25-06. If your not worried about red mist effect just use your 120gr deer load. Good luck!

B/A,
I think the last poster is correct in that the 60gr pills are designed for the older quarter-bore cartridges. The lightest I have shot in my .25-06 Sendero is the Sierra 75gr HP. I used 49.5gr of IMR-4064 on top of CCI BR2's. This produces gilt edge accuracy (read as: "one hole!") in my rifle at an average velocity of 3543fps. I pushed that bullet to over 3600fps and the accuracy stayed to 1MOA or better. I prefer accuracy over speed.
I have tried the Hornady V-Max (75gr), but they don't shoot worth a hoot in my rifle(s). Hope this helps. JohnnyK.

I don't care, well into my third 25'06, I have decided that a good 100 grain bullet covers a lot of territory. I use the Nosler Ballistic Tip on big game and predators. I also have used the 75 VMax at 4000. It works, but it drops. I would not consider a 60 grain bullet in that size case with that bore.

Good hunting. LB

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.