25-06 bullets?

chad

I was going to build a Ackley 25-06 but decided it wasn't worth it for the gain I would be getting. And im broke. (**** child support)

So with a 25-06 what bullet and powder combo should I go with for muley's? I was thinkin the 110 accubond or the 100 grain barnes ttsx.

117 Sierra Pro Hunter hands down for deer. I have used the 25-06 for around 20 years to shoot hundreds of deer as a crop damage controller with my buddy which also uses a bunch of different 25's from the Bob through the Weatherby. We have both used many different bullets and both have come to the conclusion that most will do but for overall accuracy and terminal performance and COST the 117 Sierra Pro Hunter wins hands down.
Work up to these but these loads shoot well in most 25-06s.
52 grs H4831 or the SC version. CCI BR2 primer, Rem. case, 117 Sierra and load them to start with 20 thousands off the lands which is usually the sweet spot.

49 grs IMR or AA 4350, Rem case, CCI 250 primer, 117 Sierra, 20 thousands off the lands.

We have killed hundreds of deer out to around 550 yards and if you place the 117 Sierra in the shoulder of a deer around 99% of the time where it was standing is where you will find it dead. BANG FLOP.

Berger 115 VLD's are what I shoot. I used to shoot the Nosler 110 Accubonds, and still have quite a few left, but I primarily shoot Bergers for just about everything.

115 gr ballistic tips. From coyotes to moose.

This was from a moose shot at 200 years this past fall.

Attachments

• BT1.jpg
    BT1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 83
115 gr ballistic tips. From coyotes to moose.

This was from a moose shot at 200 years this past fall.
That's impossible! You can't kill a moose with anything smaller than a .338 Lapua! They're armor-plated. Just ask 90% of the guys on here...

:D:D:D

Last edited:
115 Berger, H 4831 SC, 210M primer and Hornady brass for my son's heavy barrel. Extreme accuracy. Uses it on coyotes, javalina, and deer. Good luck

The Nosler 115 gr .257" Ballistic Tip bullets have been working very well for me, at the longest and shortest range.

The guys I hunt with are into partitions. Oi do I argue with them. I have been on gun forums since before the www had a gun forum. I have seen endless controversy over terminal ballistics. I aim for the lungs and BTs work for me. No one has enough data on terminal ballistics in animals to judge all bullets like a science. So we each have our own private little superstitions and anecdotes.

The Nosler 115 gr .257" Ballistic Tip bullets have been working very well for me, at the longest and shortest range.

The guys I hunt with are into partitions. Oi do I argue with them. I have been on gun forums since before the www had a gun forum. I have seen endless controversy over terminal ballistics. I aim for the lungs and BTs work for me. No one has enough data on terminal ballistics in animals to judge all bullets like a science. So we each have our own private little superstitions and anecdotes.
Yep! Agree 100%.

Just like some folks laugh when you tell them you hunt deer with a .25-06 or "little" .257 Wby Mag. LOL

It's a deer...Lung shots don't care WHAT you shoot it with. A good double-lung and it's dead whether it was a .22 LR or a .408 Cheytac. You just might have to track him a bit further with a smaller bullet that is faster and doesn't have as much energy when it hits from the smaller surface area.

I've found the perfect mixture of energy and efficiency (for me) is the 7mm RemMag with Berger 168 VLD's. Lung shots it barely ruins any (IF any) useable meat, and has enough energy to put them down in 10-20 yards. I've had the same thing happen many times with .25 caliber rifles, and bigger caliber rifles.

The "slow" .308 Win with a 168gr BTHP will also put a smack on a whitetail inside of 500 yards.

I was going to build a Ackley 25-06 but decided it wasn't worth it for the gain I would be getting. And im broke. (**** child support)

So with a 25-06 what bullet and powder combo should I go with for muley's? I was thinkin the 110 accubond or the 100 grain barnes ttsx.

Chad,

I have a 257 Weatherby and have used the 100 TTSX, 110 AB, 115 Ballistic Tip and 115 Berger. My favorite is the 115 Ballistic Tip. It's been the most consistently accurate bullet in the 257 Weatherby's I've owned, and they just absolutely hammer game. It's not finicky to load for like the Berger, has a much better BC than the Accubond and is the least expensive of the 4. Furthermore, Nosler has toughened up the design of the Ballistic Tip in the recent past, so it holds up well...even at Weatherby velocities. Granted, I have only shot thin skinned game with them, so I can't attest to Elk, Moose or Bear, but for Muley's, they'd work like a champ. Not a fan of the Barnes 100 TTSX/TSX. They have the BC of a ping pong ball and are expensive. They certainly penetrate well, but don't think that type of penetration is required on a Mule Deer.

Fwiw, here's a 115 BST fired at a series of 1 gallon milk jugs at 25 yards. Starting velocity was a skosh over 3400. I don't recall the remaining weight.

Try some 115 Bergers and H4831 with a Federal 210 with the bullets close to the lands. This shoots lights out in my 25.

.25-06 Remington
Winchester Brass
115 gr. Berger Hunting VLD
51 grs. H4831
Federal 210 Primer
COL-3.310"
Jump/Jam-0.000" jump and jam, just touching the lands.

Out of my S+W 1500, it puts 3 shots right at 3/8" at 100 and 1 1/4" at 300 on a good day.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.