25-06 bullet problems

jessegibson1978

I was wondering if any one could help me. I have been using a 25-06 and have had bullet failures at close range I know this really isn't a short range forum but any help or suggestions would be appreciated. My problem is all bullets I have tried so far have blown up upon impact. One example was a shot at 200 yards bullet entered at the base of the neck there was 26.2 grains of the bullet was recovered it only penetrated about 9 inches the deer ran 175 yards and didn't leave a drop of blood. I really like the gun so any ideas. Thank you.

You forgot to mention what bullet you were using. The best deer bullets in the 25-06 that I have found so far are the 117 Sierra, 117 Hornady, 115 Nosler partition. I would say that the 110 Nosler Accubond would be a winner also. I mainly use the 117 Sierra Pro Hunter. I have killed over well over 100 deer from pointblank to right at 600 yards with a 25-06 and I can count on one hand those that have even taken a single step after being hit. 99.9% of the time they drop in their tracks. It is the killingest round I have ever used on deer.

Yeah, gamekings aren't known for being very tough. I shot the 117 gamekings in a 25-06 and they are easy to load for and very accurate. They are made for longer range stuff so they expand easily at lower velocity (and over expand at closer range, higher velocity). The partitions and accubonds are a good. Try the swift scirocco if you want a tough 100 grain bullet. They are hard to beat in .25 cal.

I always shot 100 gr Nosler partitions out of mine. 3540 fps. Never had a bullet stay in a deer and most deer dropped in their tracks. It is my all time favorite deer bullet. I used the 100 ballistic tip this year because i couldnt find any partitions in time out of my ackley they clock 3615 fps. I shot one deer at 90 yds with it and one at 430 yds. the 90 yd deer i got about 18 in of penetration and a diameter of .668 with a remaining weight of 57 grains. The 430 yd shot exited through the off shoulder ruining it and the deer ran about 50 yds. I prefer the 100 gr in my 25 for the high velocity and awsome terminal performance.

The Barnes TSX is also a great performer if you are looking to stay with 100 grn bullets. I've used them from 30 yds to 450 yds, mule deer, whitetail and antelope. I've been happy with em. They will not blow up on a close range bone hit.

Last edited:
Interesting, I posted yesterday about a load for the 115 Bergers. Wanted something a bit heavier for Bear, yes Bear. Been pushing the 100 Grn Nolser BT for years at 3520 with multiple Mulies, Couse, Sheep even Elk to its credit at ranges from 120 to 540. The BT pretty much disinigrate except the jacket, I normaly find these. The bullet has been a killer despite being "to light". Why am I messing with this load?

Interesting, I posted yesterday about a load for the 115 Bergers. Wanted something a bit heavier for Bear, yes Bear. Been pushing the 100 Grn Nolser BT for years at 3520 with multiple Mulies, Couse, Sheep even Elk to its credit at ranges from 120 to 540. The BT pretty much disinigrate except the jacket, I normaly find these. The bullet has been a killer despite being "to light". Why am I messing with this load?

Why am I messing with this load?[/QUOTE]
Looks like because it has been working. I had bi-passed the 100BT for my 25-06AI because I was afraid it would be explosive for close range shots at angles or shoulders even though at close range I can usually choose a less risky shot. At long range (400-600yds. with this round)
I figure it's fine. Anyway, I was planning on the 115BT this year, but my fireforming loads were with 100BT & they were crazy accurate, about to give me second thoughts. If the BC was a little higher in the TSX/TTSX I would do that & have used them in the past, but I have ruled them out this year.

I used 100 gr Nosler BT's for a long time out of a .25-06 Rem on deer with great results in the "dead deer" column. But what I found was numerous core jacket seperations. I would find a hole in and a hole out but recover the jacket inside the animal at various ranges out to 320 yards. Dead is dead but I never really liked the idea of my projectile breaking up. I loaded a Model 7 Youth for my son in .243 with 85gr Partitions, set him up in stands where shots were 150yds max. As the many videos I shot of him proved the Partitions were devastating at that range in that caliber on deer. I never liked my longer range accuracy out of the .25 with Partitions, groups would get a little loose past 275 yds no matter what I tried so I stuck with the BT's (maybe just that rifle?). Then the Accubond arrived. It is advertised as a 60%-70% retention bullet, just like the BT (I know better when it comes to the BT). Anyway, what I've found since using the Accubond is exactly what Nosler says, I've recovered 2 bullets from deer, the first weighed 69.7 grains from a neck shot @ 130yds, and the second weighed 71.4 grains from a shoulder/lung shot @ 322 yds, both mushroomed nicely. IMO, the Accubond is the compromise I've been after, in flight it's an accurate Ferrari like the BT, upon entry it's a Peterbilt like the Partition. One vote for the 110 gr Accubond in .25 cal, Nosler got it right, again.

We have loads for the 85,100 and 115 grain Nosler Ballistic tips
Been shooting them for years and they drop the deer if you put the
bullets where it needs to go(but that applies to any bullet)
with no problems several passed through
retiredcpo

+ 1 for Barnes 100gr tsx & ttsx . I've been loading them over a stout dose of Varget or 4350 in my 25-06 & 257 BOB. Both are deadly on whitetail & wild boar. Deer here are fairly easy to put down with good shot placement, wild boar are another short altogether. Any bullet that well punch through both shoulders of a mature pig and holds together is a tough sob in my book. True wild pigs are built like a tank.

100 - 120 gr. Partitions

110 gr. Accubond

or 100 gr. E-tip
Will get you right where you need to be with the 25-06! They all should work very well for you! I shoot the 120 gr. Partition in my wifes 25-06! Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts