25-06 bullets

McKinneyMike

I have been using Sierra and Hornady 25 caliber bullets for ever and want to try out some others for my 25-06 in the 75 to 100 grain range.

I would welcome suggestions for other bullets that I should investigate (Speer, Nosler, etc.) I mainly punch paper and shoot the occasional varmint when the opportunity arises out to approx 500 yds. Just looking to experiment a bit to see if I have overlooked a good bullet. I typically use RL-22 or H4831SC as a rule but would like to see if another powder might be worthwhile too. 26" barrel length.

I will suggest you give the Nosler 100 & 115 gn Ballistic Tips, 110gn AccuBonds, 100gn Barnes TSX, Berger 115 VLD a try. These were all scarey accurate (1 hole) in my .25-06 Sendero. I mostly used RL22 for bullets 100gn and heavier. I had good luck with the Sierra 75gn HP and IMR4064.
I think that Swift now has a Scirocco out now in .257 cal. Should be a good bullet also. JohnnyK.

One of my varmint rifles is a Remington 700 Varmint Special that I got back in 1978. I only shoot a 75 Gr. Hornady V-MAX with 54 Gr. of IMR 4831. Very accurate, works great on coyotes and squirrels.

+1 on the 100 & 115 gr BTs. I shoot them both in my 257 Wby and both group(3 rounds) under a dime at 100 yards.

Southpaw

Im new to precision rifle hunting and reloading, but my gun really likes the 85 gr Nosler Ballistic tips. Im shooting IMR4350 with them. I got .75 inch groups at 200 yards (off a sled, im definitely not that good of a shot yet)

My 25-06 absolutely loves RL22 and the Nosler 100 gr BT. My rifle maxed out on pressure 2 grains BELOW the Nosler book max for this combo (and was still at max velocity, so I could believe it), so approach the top end with caution as always...

Also tried IMR4350 with that bullet, got the velocity but not the bughole groups that RL22 gave.

May also want to try the 110 gr Accubond if going for heavier game than targets...

Have fun,
Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.