6.8 Western vs 6.5 PRC

I am looking at a Browning Speed in either a 6.8 Western or 6.5 PRC. I hunt mostly Whitetail here in North Dakota, but have some pretty long shots. Would maybe be used as a backup or lighter carry gun for elk, as I have larger calibers.
Any thoughts.
Define "long shot".
Hiking miles or just in a stand with no more than a 100 yard walk?

Pretty much a wash between the 2. Your talking 14 gr difference from a 6.5 156gr to a 6.8 170 gr. Pick your favorite and go.

Only thing that would be concerning to me if you are not a reloaded, the longevity of the westerner is yet to be seen? Might be around might not in a few years as far as factory ammo goes

This year 2 Cow Elk, 250 yards and 637 yards, both 147ELDM 6.5PRC. Two Bucks, 300 yd and 150 yard, 124HH, PRC. Either gun will be fine. I love my PRC, my friend shot the other's with his PRC. I am interested in the 6.8 Western though, no need, still might buy one just because I've always liked the 270.
F'it get it. Should not be a problem making ethical kills at 600y

I shoot a Seekins Precision PH2 in 6.5 PRC and love it. I reload so availability of ammo is not an issue for me. I shoot 140gr Nosler Partitions with great results. Distance will not be an issue with a 6.5PRC and it is a pleasure to shoot. 6.8 Western...It may make it but only time will tell do to others reasons already stated above in previous posts.

Go with the 6.8 Western. How is it going to be great if everyone waits to see what others do.
We have great 27 Caliber bullets as Steve said. We also have several Cartridges.
To name a few. 6.8 SPC, 270 win, 270 WSM, 6.8 Western and 27 Nosler. I see nothing lacking from mild to hammers. Bullets from 90 grs to 175 grs.

I got the speed in 6.8 Western. I'm sure you'll love the gun chambered in either cartridge. And either will do what you need. I use the provided brake from Browning, hardly any felt recoil.

As others have stated you're not talking much difference in energy/trajectory/speed/bullet weight. It's a toss up on recoil/bc/sd the question is which caliber do you prefer .264 or .277? While slight differences are present neither has a huge advantage, maybe 200fps with similar weight bullets. What's the local availability of ammo/components? For me that's what made the choice.
I went with the 6.5prc because of local availability of ammo and components. My local store can order about any rifle but kept a few boxes of 6.5 bullets and loaded ammo on the shelf. I got my hands on ADG brass, several boxes of bullets, and 100rd of loaded ammo all in the same trip. 143 eldx factory Hornady will anchor our 200ish pound deer with authority, just avoid the shoulder unless you like soaking meat.
Dad had a good chuckle at me buying a Christensen MPR and setting up a long range rig to kill deer at less than 100yd…lol The buck came out at near handgun range and I wasn't about to let him walk.