6.5x47

eddybo

Anyone tried one? Will a 6.5x47 have enough ummph to drive 142 SMKs to around 2850-2900fps?

Couple fellas I shoot with have guns in 6.5x47L right now... one is using I think 139gr Scenars at around 2850, maybe a touch less, using RE-15 in a 26" barrel (not sure on the length). The other one (my shooting partner) is using a 30" (don't ask) Krieger 1-8" tw and is getting 2900fps from 139gr Scenars and 140gr Nosler CC HPBTs. I shot a couple rounds thru the gun the other day (he's having... issues, not necessarily related to the caliber, but perhaps his loading methods) and the craters are fairly cratered at that level.

If I had to guess, based off of what I've seen/heard, I'd guess 2800-2850 might be a more comfortable/realistic level, even w/ the long barrel. Either that or a slower powder.

HTH,

Monte

Yep.
Close...

Initial testing looks like 2800 is feasible, but 2900 may be tough without a 30" tube.

I have shot the 123 scenars at 2960, and they perfomed as predicted to 1180yds. Haven't gon further, or really rung it out past 1000...but to 100, it is dead predictable.

http://www.6mmbr.com/bulletin.html

If you scroll down to June 6th entry you can see my rifle in the video...using 123Scenars in a 20mph full value wind...

BTW -- on the 1180yd shot I called it a 90% 20mph full value, and the bullet went dead center for windage...I was holding 15MOA of wind for a center hit!!

HTH,
JB

Jason,

Are you still testing w/ slower powders (H4350)? In the process of helping my buddy un-hose his gun I am starting to run the data thru QL to help get an idea of which way to go to 'tune' things. As such... I noticed Ramshot Hunter float to the top of the list a few times... looks to give very good velocity, excellent case fill, isn't running as high on pressure, and of course meters like water. I know JtP uses it to good effect in his .260 Rem. I'm just a little leary after seeing some very accurate loads w/ TAC (in other caliblers) post some very ugly chrono numbers.

Monte

Thats good shooting right there. Thanks for the info.
I have looked around on several forums trying to find a guesstimate on the velocity with 142s.
If you were only shooting 600yd f class would you shoot the 142s at the lower velocity or try the 123s a little faster? My 6.5x284 barrel is on its last legs and I have a good stock of 142s. I found a 30 inch 8 twist in stock, not sure how long it will finish, but I have to decide pretty quickly whether to go x47 or x284. Which way would you go?

600yd only, 123/130 without a doubt.

Monte...hope to chron H4350 and Norma URP with the 130's tomorrow.

Talked to a guy at the range the other day...~42gn h4350 = 2970 with a 130 VLD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Sweet! That is about as much powder as you can readily get in the case...and about where I am predicting a max load.

JB

[ QUOTE ]
and Norma URP with the 130's tomorrow

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't heard of this URP. Is it new?

I have heard Norma 204 is working well with the 130 bergers. Never had too much luck with H4350 in anything. Now, IMR4350 is another story....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and Norma URP with the 130's tomorrow

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't heard of this URP. Is it new?

I have heard Norma 204 is working well with the 130 bergers. Never had too much luck with H4350 in anything. Now, IMR4350 is another story....

[/ QUOTE ]

According to Norma on the new URP powder :

"A vigorous, mid-range powder. Excellent choice for medium sized cartridges such as 7x64 and .30-06"

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.