6.5x47 Lapua

William W.

I bought a rifle in this caliber at the recommendation of Surgeon when it was in Oklahoma with an AI stock over a decade ago for a non-308 with decent barrel life. With 130 Sierras (before Berger prominence it is almost a one-holer at 100-yards. Finally years later, getting a trim die and a trimmer for my press, I started shooting it - after the rush to 6.5 Creedmoor; I bought a decent one to use the brass left at the range by "6.5 Creed Yuppies". With that caliber's popularity, getting a trim die was easy.

I have several 308's which my gunsmith says very few are being requested now.

It seems that 6.5L never got the hype of 6.5C.

Finally getting to the point, I got a deal on a Defiance short action with a "308 size" bolt head, and am thinking about another 6.5x47 Lapua in a McMillan or Manners stock like I have on other rifles. I have lots of brass so that is not an issue; and a fair amout of 6.5mm bullets. Does anyone want to talk me into getting a great 6.5 Creedmoor instead?

I have several 308's which my gunsmith says very few are being requested now.

The only thing the creed has for me as I'm a new owner of the lapua and it's stupid east to shoot and load for, but the creeds factory ammo is far cheaper. Now that being said I absolutely love the 6.5x47. It's going to be my steel and comp gun. The one I bought had 2k rounds on it I threw a load with varget in it and away I went. Shoots under 3/4 minute. Soft to shoot makes me smile Every time we go. The wife also shoots it running prs drills while she waits for her 6 gt to be done.

I was going to take a 308 and rebarrel to a 6.5 CM, but my GS talked me into the 6.5X47 saying it was more inherently accurate. So I did and he was correct.

With Berger 130, 140 or HH 110, this rifle consistently shoots in the .2 or .3s. I don't think I have ever shot a group even with a flinch over a half inch. And, Lapua brass can be easily found.

Do what you want to do, but I am way happy with my decision.

Sorry, but I can't talk you out of building a 6.5x47. I like them so much I have two of them. One RBros build that I practice with. The other one is a lighter build for deer hunting. The RBros wears a 26 brought on and shoots the 130 Berger at 3000 FPS. Hunting gun has a 25" benchmark shooting 124 hammer hunters at 2938 FPS. This could be run faster, but shoots so good! I run H4350 in both of them with cci 450's. I say build a 6.5x47. No real downside.

The creed is easier bc of the factory ammo……but you said you reload and have the supplies. Lapua x47 brass is nice and lasts many firings. I too have a x47 built by Beanland on a surgeon. It is prob my favorite rifle to shoot and I have several nice customs. Load is some varget behind a 140 hybrid, screw on a suppressor and smile!! Plus I kinda like shooting something that is a little different. I also have a couple SAUMs in the gun room so I obviously don't have a problem with somewhat niche calibers.

Never heard of the 6.6x47 Swede. I have heard of a 6.5x55 Swede and that rifle took my first buck! Been around forever but is a long action and factory rounds leave some performance on the table.

I was going to take a 308 and rebarrel to a 6.5 CM, but my GS talked me into the 6.5X47 saying it was more inherently accurate. So I did and he was correct.
He is indeed right
I have built more 6.5 CM's than 6.5 x 47 L, the best 6.5 CM's will shoot 0.2-0.3, the 6.5 x 47 will easily do better, 0.1-0.2 is normal
The 6.5 CM is more popular from a velocity & factory ammo stand point but if you get away from the traditional 130's & Varget in the 6.5 x 47 & put H4350 or better still RL16 behind 140-156 projectiles the performance is much closer

Over the year's I've 4 rifles in 6.5x47L and several of those rifles had multiple barrels. I got my first in the mid 2000's when it was before the Creedmoor got big and many were shooting 260s for competition. At this point though I'm down to one. One of the 6.5x47L's I turned into a 6.5 Addiction, which is a 6.5x55 with a partial AI and short throat. I wanted more horsepower and a different selection of components. 6.5x47 gets hit hard in crunches, because until recently there was one source of brass, it shoots small rifle primers which everyone scarfs up quick for 223 and small 6mm rounds, and it runs very well on Varget which goes for 223/308/6mm, and H4350 which gets grabbed by the Creedmoor shooters.

I've gotten great barrel life from the 6.5x47. I had a Broughton still going after over 3500 rounds on a steady diet of 140 Berger VLDs backed by H4350. I changed it because I just got queasy about it. I also had a barrel go around 2600 on RL 16 and 147 elds. It started loosing accuracy at long range, and when I tested the velocity the SD had gone crazy high.

If you are looking to push a 6.5 140 in the 2700-2830 range from a bolt rifle, it is a great round. Be ready for component crunches.

I recently had a lightweight 6.5x47 built myself. The reason I chose it over other comparable chamberings was due to the reputation of it being easy to load for and also because I wanted something a little different than what most people were using.

I plan to mainly run the 110gr. Hammer Hunters in front of Varget. I believe this will be a great recipe for deer and antelope. I think it'll make a great starter rifle for my kids too.

Attachments

• 20220917_162826.jpg
    20220917_162826.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 44