6.5X47 Lapua

gbales

I'm really thinking about putting a 6.5X47 Lapua together. Does anyone have any thoughts about the caliber?

gbales, the 6.5x47 is a great little cartridge that is way more capable than it's small size would have you believe. 140 Bergers at 2800 + fps = an 800 yard deer rifle with very little recoil!! We have put together dozens of them in the last year or so and they are Shooters!!! --- RHB

Any particular rate of twist or barrel length I should be looking or asking for 7MMRHB?

The twist is 1 in 8" so you can run 140 VLDs and it will still shoot great if you go with the various 123s. The bbl length we usually use is 26" to 28"but we have done 24" bbls for guys that were going to shoot 123s. All the rifles we have built were Sporters with #3 or #4 contours, fluted to keep them light. We live and hunt in the mountains in Utah, big steep mountains so weight is a big factor for our customers. We even have our own Titanium muzzle brakes to use and sell to help keep the weight down. Good luck with your build !! ------ RHB

Gbales,

I have to agree good brass and good performance in a low recoil rifle. I just happen to have a picture of a 5shot group that one of my customers sent to me.

Attachments

• CRAIG6547.jpg
    CRAIG6547.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 0404131025.jpg
    0404131025.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 89
Capt.

I have built 3 or 4 rifles for him and he always got them to shoot extremely well.
This 6.5 had a Atlas Action single shot it was the first one of those I had done and with the Proof Research barrel it turned out really nice.

As luck would have it that barrel was one I had here to do my 6.5 BPX and he talked me out of it, and as my luck goes it seems to be a real screamer of a barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.