6.5x47 Lapua???

Chopaka81

Today on the Military Channel I was watching a special on the ulimate Sniper Rifles and one of the top 10 was chambered in a 6.5x47. They showed a cartirdge and it looked to fat to be based upon the 222 Mag case.

I am curious if you-all might know what cartridge it is based on? Looks like it might be a excellent choise for f-class.

I believe that the round that was on the show was the 6.5x47 Lapua. It is made from brass with a 308 diameter bolt head (+ or - a little). I have shot against one in f class competition.

The 6.5x47 Lapua has very similar performance to a 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 Remington. It has a little less case capacity than those but it works at a little higher pressure. It's main advantage is that when used in a 308 length magazine (2.80") it allows the use of longer and lower drag bullets. Its somewhat like the merrits of a 6.8 SPC vs a 5.6 Grendel in a AR 15. Both have advantages.

There are lots of military rifles which use 308 length 2.80" to 2.85" magazines.
Those include the SR-25, AR-10, FAL, M-14, G3, PRS-1, M-24, etc0. The 6.5x47 round was specifically designed to give improved accuracy with less wind deflection and vertical stringing at long range from from semi-auto and magazine fed bolt action military rifles. The obvious application is for military sniping with the ability to engage multiple targets better than with heavier caliber bolt actions.

So why isn't everyone converting their 308's to 6.5x47? It gives less energy at typical combat range, has considerably shorter barrel life than a 308, and barrel swaps and the ammo are expensive.

Would it be a good hunting cartridge?. No doubt there are applications where it would be as good and possibly better than other cartridges, but that can be said about many cartridges. Whether it's better than a 308 would depend on the type of game, the range, and the wind conditions. That's true of a 260 Rem and 6.5 Creedmoor vs the 308 too.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.