6.5x47

jericho

I did a search and didn't find an answer. What sort of size deer can you take down at varying distances with this round?

Being a 6.5, most game weight bullets, the 120, 130, 140 class have very good sectional density for their weight. Generally they have the same SD as a .270 bullet that weighs 10gr more. You should be right around 2800FPS in your 'x47 so you have quite a bit of range capability.
Given that spec, I wouldn't hesitate to take a poke at the largest mulie at <400 with a 120 or 130gr high BC bullet. I would stay away from solids if I were you though.
Are you comfy at that range with that rifle? If not, practice up!

My 6.5 is based on the .257 Roberts case that has been Ackleyd, so I have a little more speed at the muzzle, and am willing to reach a little farther with my 120s. I may try the 130s this year though.

From the book Applied Ballistics For Long Range Shooting chapter 14 Leathallity of long range hunting bullets, page 248. Leathality chart for 6.5 medium capacity case. 140 grain vld 150 lb game to 700 yds, 300 lb game to 350 yds.

It's a little better than a .270 win with the same weight bullet. I've got a .270 and wouldn't think twice about shooting deer with it to 700. It's also the most accurate gun I've got. I regularly shoot it to 600, it's sub moa to 400 and opens up a little beyond that to MOA at 700. Of course, I'm not that good of a shot, so the gun is better than I am. I've shot quite a few .5 MOA groups at 400. My 6.5 X 47 Bench rest rifle is due this week (been waiting almost 6 months now). New Hart heavy contour 28" barrel with a .290 neck turn chamber. The 6.5X47 muzzle velocity is about 100 FPS less than the 270, but the BC is much higher and therefore retains velocity and energy much better than the 270.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.