Cooper 6.5x47

Greg Duerr

Considering Purchasing a new Cooper either the Jackson Hunter or Excaliber with a 26" Barrel in the 6.5x47 Lapua 130gr Berger

I hunt Mule Deer and Antelope ..................and have not reached out past 300 yards YET and like everything I have heard about this Cartridge

Would like you comments and opinions...................

My Primary desire is for accuracy .............

Last edited:
I've got two 6.5x47 Lapua's, one's a heavy remington M700 with a bartlein M24 profile barrel at 26" in a Mcmillan A5 stock. The other's built on a borden alpine action with a bartlein #2 barrel at 22" in a Mcmillan hunter's edge stock. To say I love the round would be an understatement. It's fantastically easy to load for, very mild to shoot, and accurate as all get out. It's a sweetheart.

The borden is my hunting rifle, the heavy remington my play rifle. I know this is the long range hunting forum but keep in mind that custom, or semi-custom rifles can get real heavy & long real quick when guys get stars in their eyes. While I have several prairie dog and target rifles with 26+ inch barrels, I'm done with them on hunting rifles. Those stop at 24" max. A rifle has to be man-portable to be able to shoot it at a game animal so lots of compromises are involved. Everyone loves a great shooting rifle but for me I'm starting to pay a lot more attention to portability with every rifle I build.

i think the operative word in your post is "yet". Being predominately a deer/antelope hunter myself, I"m big fan of the 6.5's but am parial to the 140's driven to at least 2950FPS. The 6.5x47 is a great cartridge but I think if you do extend your range and encounter the typical wind conditions in antelope county, the accuracy of the round gets neutralized pretty fast, and ballistics take priority. Just my preference though. I have been using a Cooper in 6.5x284 for about a half dozen years and really like the rifle. It has all the attributes of a full custom....exceptionally accurate and well made! By buddy also bought a Jackson hunter about three years ago and is also very happy with it.

Actually, there is nothing more powerful than accuracy.

Excellent cartridge (for 130s), excellent gun (except for the trigger), can't go wrong there :)

The 3# trigger on my Cooper isn't too shabby. Not like a 14oz Jewel but good enough for 5 shots at .2MOA, and PD's at a half mile.

The 6.5x47 is an intriguing cartridge. I own a cooper Excalibur is 6.5x284 as well accuracy is excellent and the trigger is more than adequate for me to shoot 1/2 moa maybe better. I like the 24" for hunting but it will rob some velocity.

I also own 3 260 rem firearms and I believe 300 yards is near the limit of its range. I have harvested a few VA whitetails at that range and a little more and wounding is not wide with 120's and 130's.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.