6.5x47 Lapua for Whitetail (and a story behind it)

Floundertrap

In case anybody is interested in my data and experience, I thought I'd share:

It's whitetail season in Eastern NC, the rut is beginning, the necks are getting fat and the bucks will start chasing the does any day now. To make a long story somewhat less long, I've allowed a cousin (and very good friend) to share my old trusty tripod stand and perennial hunting spot in an effort to help him get some meat in the freezer and maybe a head on the wall.

In preparation of this albeit benevolent gesture, I secured a new hunting spot for myself, a 60 acre field (of soybeans) with likely shots up to 650 yards, and put in a tripod. My mostly-factory A-Bolt II in 300 WSM might well do the trick at that yardage, but I decided to build a 270 WSM for this new spot. I ordered a sweet chunk of curly maple from PA and sent it out to Richards Microfit in CA. Meanwhile I sent an A-Bolt II (7mm Mag) and a 28" Brux 8 twist to my 'smith to get started. I will be running matrix 165 VLDs or Berger 170 EOL Elite Hunters, so the optimum seating depth requires a long action mag box.

Anyway, that was all back in April and now it's November and my new build is not ready, so I decided to turn my 6.5x47L (PRS rig) into a hunting rifle. I've been shooting 130 Berger VLD Targets for a while, I have a few hundred rounds through it with decent data. It's a 26" Krieger 8 twist on a Rem 700 Action, Calvin Elite Trigger (really light for hunting), Vortex Razor (HD Gen II 4.5-27x56, EBR-7C, MOA), and it's a shooter. So I thought, I'll just make this work for the season and not rush the 270 WSM build.

I looked all over for info on switching projectiles from the VLD to the VLD Hunter, the BCs are the same, but with a thinner jacket on the hunter, I thought there may be some difference at distance. For anybody interested in the performance of the VLD Target vs the VLD Hunting, THERE IS NONE!!! At least there's no difference in my 6.5x47L. I run 41.3gn of H4350 in Lapua Brass with Fed 205Ms seated .010 off. At 500 yds I put 3 in a 3 " (vertical) group right along with my VLD Targets, with a mirage and 8mph cross wind. So anyway, in time we'll get the 270 WSM going, but for the meanwhile, I think the 6.5L will work on a bruiser whitetail in the new spot, if I get a chance at a good one.

Thanks for reading, happy hunting.

Attachments

• Lapua.jpg
    Lapua.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 266
I have seen the 130 vld target, and vld hunter milled in half. Unless they are using a harder jacket, or harder lead on the target version, there was no difference between the two.

I shoot the 130 Berger hunting in one of my 6.5x47's. It's been great on deer! 42.2 gr of H4350, CCI450 in Lapua Brass yields me 2950 fps out of a 26" Broughton. One of my favourite guns. Built by RBros.

I put together a 6mm x 47 Laupa a few years ago for Md. and Pa. whitetail. 22" Brux 8 twist 105 A-Max. Took a deer that season with it, dropped in tracks total nasty damage to shoulders.

Nice Rig !
I spoke to a Berger tech a while back and a couple of them shoot the target and the 130 AR hybrid at deer and love them. I hope to take my two 6.5 x 47 for some game also.

Thanks, Wedgy, The stock, trigger and overall weight aren't ideal for hunting, but at least I'm in a tripod and I don't have to walk far to get to it!

I've shot the Berger hybrids in mine but when I had a hard time getting them, I started playing around with 123 SST's, which were quite good on swamp donkeys out to 400. Now, I'm running a boringly accurate 143-ELDx on 36 grains of Varget but have not tested it on deer yet.

Son has been using his on bull elk and large black bears for a couple of years. Been using the 140 vld at about 2670 fps. Kills with it so far out to around 400 yards. Seems almost overkill on whitetails.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.